brunswick affair
s***@gmail.com
2013-02-24 16:33:22 UTC
This message regards that which has been erased from history. It is an
account of an experiment somewhere in the northeast (possibly Canada).
A company manufactured television sets that reversed the polarization
influencing the people who watched the televisions. It affected the
hypothalamus in the individuals. Viewers who didn't have dogs bought
cases and cases of dog food or men bought pantyhose's. Supposedly
something about this incident was aired on HBO in 1982? I have
searched extensively for any information on this controversy. Some
pass it off as a urban myth. If you have any info or leads please help
me out! I want to bring this story out of the closet.
````The one who wants to know````
The HBO program you're looking for is "Consumer Reports."
d***@gmail.com

http://www.nfb.ca/film/bronswik_affair/
h***@gmail.com
2020-04-13 12:34:44 UTC
Back in the day it was tried slipping in a couple of frames in movies to try and increase the concession stand sales until laws regulating subliminal messages were passed. If you saw the original 'Exorcist' in theaters I remember a skull being flashed on screen at one point after that time. Not aware of any study or otherwise regarding television using optical or wireless stimulation of the hypothalamus.

Googled this very subject because spoke to someone who stated this Brunswick issue as fact and not a discussion. Got to pay attention to the format and context of information.

Good night,
Hayden
Lee Ayrton
2020-04-13 18:49:44 UTC
danny burstein
2020-04-13 19:30:22 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
The "subliminal" image in The Exorcist isn't subliminal at all and is
east to see the single frame images if you know where and when to look.
It's a demon face, not a skull. Single film frames at 24fps are well
within the ability of humans to see - the old SMPTE projection leader
with the countdown from 8 to 2 is an example: The "2" is exactly one frame.
Ah, but that's a double flash, right?

Anyway, way, way, back there was a game called "Husker Du".
I distinctly remember catching the flash when the
advert showed on WPIX, a local, semi independent,
tv station in NYC [a]. However, the folk at (I'm
guessing...) WNBC, the NBC O&O station, removed that
snippet before it was broadcast.

[a] Best known as the original home of the Yule Log.
Post by Lee Ayrton
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/subliminal-advertising/
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/87245/terrifying-subliminal-image-hidden-exorcist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H%C5%ABsker_D%C5%AB%3F
***@panix.com
Lee Ayrton
2020-04-14 15:51:35 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by Lee Ayrton
The "subliminal" image in The Exorcist isn't subliminal at all and is
east to see the single frame images if you know where and when to look.
It's a demon face, not a skull. Single film frames at 24fps are well
within the ability of humans to see - the old SMPTE projection leader
with the countdown from 8 to 2 is an example: The "2" is exactly one frame.
Ah, but that's a double flash, right?
I don't follow what you mean by "double flash". In film projection each
frame is interrupted three times as it is projected giving a flicker
rate of 72cps and into the range of "persistence of vision" but the
single "2" frame, coupled with a single frame of tone, is still easily
visible.
danny burstein
2020-04-14 15:56:17 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by danny burstein
Post by Lee Ayrton
It's a demon face, not a skull. Single film frames at 24fps are well
within the ability of humans to see - the old SMPTE projection leader
with the countdown from 8 to 2 is an example: The "2" is exactly one frame.
Ah, but that's a double flash, right?
I don't follow what you mean by "double flash". In film projection each
frame is interrupted three times as it is projected giving a flicker
rate of 72cps and into the range of "persistence of vision" but the
single "2" frame, coupled with a single frame of tone, is still easily
visible.
I wasn't clear enough, I guess. I meant that
each frame of film is flashed on the screen two times.

Of course, this gets changed, a lot, when used
on television...
***@panix.com
Lee Ayrton
2020-04-14 21:34:08 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by danny burstein
Post by Lee Ayrton
It's a demon face, not a skull. Single film frames at 24fps are well
within the ability of humans to see - the old SMPTE projection leader
with the countdown from 8 to 2 is an example: The "2" is exactly one frame.
Ah, but that's a double flash, right?
I don't follow what you mean by "double flash". In film projection each
frame is interrupted three times as it is projected giving a flicker
rate of 72cps and into the range of "persistence of vision" but the
single "2" frame, coupled with a single frame of tone, is still easily
visible.
I wasn't clear enough, I guess. I meant that
each frame of film is flashed on the screen two times.
Of course, this gets changed, a lot, when used
on television...
Yeah, or it did. I've no idea how it is handled now. Back In The
Day<tm> telecines did a thing called Two-Three Pulldown to get from
24fps (film sound speed) to 29.97fps NTSC* video speed) but using the
interlaced fields of video scanning to stretch every other film frame
into three video fields (an NTSC video frame is two scanning fields).

I used to know this by heart and it just took me 5 minutes to get my
head around it again. But, given the Current Unpleasantness I've got
nothing but time, so...

For those reading over our shoulders:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-two_pull_down#2:3

*Ob BOA: NTSC == National Television System Committee. Anyone who ever
went into a store with a wall of TVs for sale recognized that it also
stood for Never The Same Color.

Lee "Will light scenes for food" Ayrton
Greg Taylor
2021-07-07 23:57:18 UTC
Hello Hugues, Of all the posts about the documentary 'the Bronswick Affair' yours is the most accurate. I fell for this story, completely. I remember the TV set was the common denominator found in a group's research into out of character purchases of products eventually leading to the manufacturers of the Bronswick TV Co who employed a scientist to produce the 'techno evil' device which was placed in their TVs. When he committed suicide, the outraged city rose up (Toronto?) and destroyed the company.
.
The real name is The Bronswick Affair. It's a short fake documentary,
mixing fiction and animation, directed in 1978 by Robert Awad and A.
Leduc for National film Board of Canada. It tell stories of people
forced by some techno-evil TV set to buy things they won't ever need.
Hugues