Decapitation by flying sheet metal
c***@usa.net
2004-12-18 02:29:49 UTC
No mention as to whether she continued driving her motorcycle, but a
French woman was reportedly decapitated by flying sheet metal:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041217/ap_on_re_eu/france_storm_3

PARIS - A powerful storm packing hurricane-force winds lashed northern
France on Friday, killing four people - three crushed by falling
trees - and forcing officials to close down the Eiffel Tower.

A 61-year-old woman died when her car was crushed by a tree in Paris'
chic 16th district and a suburbanite was decapitated by flying sheet
metal, police said.

Another version of the story appears to waffle a bit:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/041217/2/s8iq.html

A suburbanite was killed in a fall, according to the prefecture of the
Yvelines region west of Paris. Officials had reported early that the
victim was decapitated by flying sheet metal.
That is my Real Name
2004-12-18 09:59:42 UTC
Post by c***@usa.net
clem
No mention as to whether she continued driving her motorcycle, but a
French woman was reportedly decapitated by flying sheet metal
Did you give us the correct link? It took me to an article that said a
"suburbanite" was killed by flying sheetmetal, no woman on a motorcycle either,
a 24 year old man on a motorbike was killed.
I can see how these urban legends grow from nothing.
(This space intentionally left blank)
Serge Paccalin
2004-12-18 10:21:23 UTC
Post by c***@usa.net
No mention as to whether she continued driving her motorcycle, but a
You're mixing three persons here.

The French woman was crushed in her *car*. The (male) biker was also
crushed by an uprooted tree. A man was beheaded by a flying metal sheet
torn from a roof.
Post by c***@usa.net
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20041217/ap_on_re_eu/france_storm_3
PARIS - A powerful storm packing hurricane-force winds lashed northern
France on Friday, killing four people - three crushed by falling
trees - and forcing officials to close down the Eiffel Tower.
A 61-year-old woman died when her car was crushed by a tree in Paris'
chic 16th district and a suburbanite was decapitated by flying sheet
metal, police said.
http://au.news.yahoo.com/041217/2/s8iq.html
A suburbanite was killed in a fall, according to the prefecture of the
Yvelines region west of Paris. Officials had reported early that the
victim was decapitated by flying sheet metal.
Details in French:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/france/20041218.FIG0038.html
--
___________ 2004-12-18 10:41:29
_/ _ \_`_`_`_) Serge PACCALIN -- sp ad mailclub.net
_/___(_) la tolérance. -- Voltaire, 1763
c***@usa.net
2004-12-19 02:24:43 UTC
Sorry if I was being obtuse. The cannonical UL on sheet metal
decapitation invariably involves a motorcycle, sometimes with the
headless rider passing the offending truck.

This was a simple decapitation by sheet metal, with no involvement of a
motorcycle. Apparently, the victim was male.
Lee Ayrton
2004-12-19 19:23:51 UTC
Post by c***@usa.net
Sorry if I was being obtuse. The cannonical UL on sheet metal
decapitation invariably involves a motorcycle, sometimes with the
headless rider passing the offending truck.
Does it? I'm curious, because I don't recall hearing this class of tale.
The only decapitation stories that come easily to my mind are joy-riding
teens vs. mailbox/tree/utility pole and snowmobile rider vs.
clothesline/chain/wire rope/wire fence. Watcha got?

--
"A thousand ghost cows roar with laughter."
Anthony McCafferty explains urban planning in AFU.
Serge Paccalin
2004-12-19 19:27:13 UTC
Le dimanche 19 décembre 2004 à 20:23:51, Lee Ayrton a écrit dans
Post by Lee Ayrton
The only decapitation stories that come easily to my mind are joy-riding
teens vs. mailbox/tree/utility pole and snowmobile rider vs.
clothesline/chain/wire rope/wire fence. Watcha got?
A woman beheaded in her car: Jayne Mansfield.
--
___________ 2004-12-19 20:25:25
_/___(_) la tolérance. -- Voltaire, 1763
Ray Heindl
2004-12-19 21:21:26 UTC
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/decapmot.htm
Post by Serge Paccalin
A woman beheaded in her car: Jayne Mansfield.
Isidora Duncan, strangled by her scarf when it got tangled in the wheel
of her car. If she'd worn a skinnier scarf she *could* have been
decapitated.

A local news program years ago referred to someone's leg being
decapitated. It might have been the same reporter who described how
the USS Nimitz returned to its home port of North Fork, West Virginia.
(obTWIAVBP: Norfolk, Virginia, is a major US naval base.)
--
Ray Heindl
(remove the Xs to reply to: xvortren-***@yaxhoo.com)
The Horny Goat
2004-12-28 08:01:24 UTC
Post by Ray Heindl
A local news program years ago referred to someone's leg being
decapitated. It might have been the same reporter who described how
the USS Nimitz returned to its home port of North Fork, West Virginia.
(obTWIAVBP: Norfolk, Virginia, is a major US naval base.)
I live on the west coast and even I (a Canadian) know there are
precious few ports in West Virginia! :)
Ray Heindl
2004-12-29 02:27:01 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
Post by Ray Heindl
A local news program years ago referred to someone's leg being
decapitated. It might have been the same reporter who described
how the USS Nimitz returned to its home port of North Fork, West
Virginia. (obTWIAVBP: Norfolk, Virginia, is a major US naval
base.)
I live on the west coast and even I (a Canadian) know there are
precious few ports in West Virginia! :)
And even fewer capable of accommodating the Nimitz.

This reminds me of something I heard on a TV show about the Chesapeake
Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Originally the plan was to build a bridge across
the mouth of the bay, but it was nixed because sabotage or failure of
the bridge could have blocked the channel from Norfolk to the ocean,
bottling up whatever fleet was there. So the main shipping channel is
spanned by a tunnel instead. Believable, but it reminds me of the
interstates-as-runways story.
Lee Ayrton
2004-12-29 17:40:19 UTC
Post by Ray Heindl
This reminds me of something I heard on a TV show about the Chesapeake
Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Originally the plan was to build a bridge across the
mouth of the bay, but it was nixed because sabotage or failure of the
bridge could have blocked the channel from Norfolk to the ocean,
bottling up whatever fleet was there. So the main shipping channel is
spanned by a tunnel instead.
In Neville Shute's _On The Beach_ the sole surviving USN sub crew finds
that I-95's Gold Star Memorial Bridge, spanning the Thames river at New
London and Groton Connecticut, has dropped into the river, preventing them
from reaching the Groton submarine base.

The following has heard the same claim as you:

11. Bridge-Tunnel Facilities in Virginia
<URL:http://www.roadstothefuture.com/Bridge_Tunnels_VA.html>

[quote]------------
Because of the high volume of warship traffic, the U.S.
Navy has historically requested that highway crossings downstream
of Norfolk/Hampton Roads naval installations be in a tunnel, so
that no high-level bridges would exist that could be attacked and
destroyed in wartime or due to a terrorist attack, and block the
shipping channel for perhaps weeks or even months before the
wreckage could be removed. The result of this policy is that the
[unquote]----------

Later he quotes material from the 1973 hearings on the I-664 (Monitor
Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel) project, which mentions concerns over the
possibility that a proposed high bridge on that route could be dropped
into shipping lanes required by the Navy.
Post by Ray Heindl
Believable, but it reminds me of the interstates-as-runways story.
Really? I don't get that sense from it, but I'm hard pressed come come up
with a good analogy, much less one that might amuse. Something to do with
not allowing private radio towers in an Air Force base approach pattern,
mumble [hand-wave] mumble mumble.

Thank ghod it's Them instead of You.
danny burstein
2004-12-29 18:15:06 UTC
Post by Ray Heindl
This reminds me of something I heard on a TV show about the Chesapeake
Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Originally the plan was to build a bridge across the
mouth of the bay, but it was nixed because sabotage or failure of the
bridge could have blocked the channel from Norfolk to the ocean,
bottling up whatever fleet was there. So the main shipping channel is
spanned by a tunnel instead.
[ lots snipped ]

NYC has the Brooklyn Battery TUNNEL connecting lower Manhattan with
Brooklyn. When (Master Builder [1]) Robert Moses was building things all
over NYC in the 1930s (and through the 1960s), he wanted to build a
Brooklyn Battery Bridge.

A bunch of the usual NIMBYs [2], etc., kept trying to stop him from doing
this, that, or the other thing. In the case of the proposed bridge, they
enlisted all sorts of Highly Important People. Eventually, they got an
order from the War Department [3] blocking the bridge, using the argument
that if it was dropped into NY Harbor, it would block access to and from
the Brooklyn Navy Yard [4].

Quoting from:
http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/brooklyn-battery/ [5]

"The Brooklyn-Battery Bridge proposal was officially killed on July 17,
1939, when the Secretary of War under the Franklin Administration, Harry
Woodring, said that the proposed crossing would be seaward of the Brooklyn
Navy Yard. According to the War Department, the proposed bridge would have
not only been vulnerable to attack in the event of war, but also would
have blocked access to the Navy Yard.

[1] he ran the Triborough Bridge Authority, and then later similar groups,
and then the Parks Department. He basically had the money and power to
pretty much build anything he wanted in the NYC area during those decades.
Despite what anyone else wanted.

The good news is he got things done. THere's lots of bad news, too.

[2] NIMBY = "not in my backyard". A very common term used for the usual
complainers....

[3] yes children. Once upon a time it had an honest name...

[4] well, there were two other bridges already in place over that river...
And in the 1960s, Moses got to build the Verrazanno Narrows Bridge at an
even better choke point farther down the harbor.

[5] a mildly biased source, to be sure, but certainly factually accurate.
***@panix.com
Nick Spalding
2004-12-29 20:44:21 UTC
Post by danny burstein
http://www.nycroads.com/crossings/brooklyn-battery/ [5]
"The Brooklyn-Battery Bridge proposal was officially killed on July 17,
1939, when the Secretary of War under the Franklin Administration, Harry
Woodring, said that the proposed crossing would be seaward of the Brooklyn
Navy Yard. According to the War Department, the proposed bridge would have
not only been vulnerable to attack in the event of war, but also would
have blocked access to the Navy Yard.
Franklin as in Franklin D Roosevelt? Was it really known as that?
Nick Spalding
Ray Heindl
2004-12-29 21:32:49 UTC
[snip]
Post by Lee Ayrton
Later he quotes material from the 1973 hearings on the I-664
(Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel) project, which mentions
concerns over the possibility that a proposed high bridge on that
route could be dropped into shipping lanes required by the Navy.
I'm surprised it wouldn't be called the Virginia Monitor Memorial
Bridge Tunnel, seeing as how the USS Monitor's opponent was called the
CSS Virginia. Maybe they figured that too few people knew that, and
that Virginia would be assumed to be the name of the state.
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Ray Heindl
Believable, but it reminds me of the interstates-as-runways
story.
Really? I don't get that sense from it, but I'm hard pressed come
come up with a good analogy, much less one that might amuse.
Something to do with not allowing private radio towers in an Air
Force base approach pattern, mumble [hand-wave] mumble mumble.
I would think towers would be restricted in any airport's approach
pattern. I didn't mean to imply that there was anything analogous to
the interstate-runway story, just that it reminded me of it somehow.
Lee Ayrton
2004-12-30 18:12:27 UTC
Post by Ray Heindl
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Ray Heindl
Believable, but it reminds me of the interstates-as-runways
story.
Really? I don't get that sense from it, but I'm hard pressed come
come up with a good analogy, much less one that might amuse.
Something to do with not allowing private radio towers in an Air
Force base approach pattern, mumble [hand-wave] mumble mumble.
I would think towers would be restricted in any airport's approach
pattern. I didn't mean to imply that there was anything analogous to
the interstate-runway story, just that it reminded me of it somehow.
Ah, now I follow. It's that "government spent a pile of money on it so
the military must have a sekrit plan for it" popular folklore thingie,
right?

Lee "Plane makes forced landing in tunnel, film at 11, just wasn't
working for me" Ayrton

Thank ghod it's Them instead of You.
Ray Heindl
2004-12-30 22:59:56 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Ray Heindl
I would think towers would be restricted in any airport's
approach pattern. I didn't mean to imply that there was anything
analogous to the interstate-runway story, just that it reminded
me of it somehow.
Ah, now I follow. It's that "government spent a pile of money on
it so the military must have a sekrit plan for it" popular
folklore thingie, right?
Probably something like that. Or maybe just that the military was
influencing the layout of roads.
Post by Lee Ayrton
Lee "Plane makes forced landing in tunnel, film at 11, just wasn't
working for me" Ayrton
Don't forget the climactic scene from the movie "Mission: Impossible"
which features a helicopter flying through the Chunnel. "Impossible"
sounds about right for that one.
Crashj
2004-12-30 22:40:43 UTC
Post by Ray Heindl
[snip]
Post by Lee Ayrton
Later he quotes material from the 1973 hearings on the I-664
(Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel) project, which mentions
concerns over the possibility that a proposed high bridge on that
route could be dropped into shipping lanes required by the Navy.
I'm surprised it wouldn't be called the Virginia Monitor Memorial
Bridge Tunnel, seeing as how the USS Monitor's opponent was called the
CSS Virginia.
<>
The odd thing for me, born and rasied in the former CSA, it was always
taught as the "Monitor vs. Merrimac." I guess it was just that way in
the [Yankee] textbooks, plus it is more poetic.
Crashj
Ray Heindl
2004-12-31 20:59:38 UTC
Post by Crashj
Post by Ray Heindl
I'm surprised it wouldn't be called the Virginia Monitor Memorial
Bridge Tunnel, seeing as how the USS Monitor's opponent was called
the CSS Virginia.
The odd thing for me, born and rasied in the former CSA, it was
always taught as the "Monitor vs. Merrimac." I guess it was just
that way in the [Yankee] textbooks, plus it is more poetic.
If that's how it's taught in the South, then it's not surprising that
the bridge-tunnel was named that way. I hadn't thought of the poetic
aspect, but the Merrimac version does sound better.
William R Ward
2005-01-01 23:10:56 UTC
Post by Ray Heindl
Post by Crashj
The odd thing for me, born and rasied in the former CSA, it was
always taught as the "Monitor vs. Merrimac." I guess it was just
that way in the [Yankee] textbooks, plus it is more poetic.
If that's how it's taught in the South, then it's not surprising that
the bridge-tunnel was named that way. I hadn't thought of the poetic
aspect, but the Merrimac version does sound better.
It was taught that way to me in California as well.
--
William R Ward ***@wards.net http://bill.wards.net
Help save the San Jose Earthquakes - http://www.soccersiliconvalley.com/
Karen J. Cravens
2005-01-02 04:28:20 UTC
Post by William R Ward
It was taught that way to me in California as well.
I learned it that way in Indiana, but the textbook (or whatever I read the
story in) did have the footnote that the Merrimac had been re-christened
the Virginia after being rebuilt, but that it continued to be called the
Merrimac anyway.

I'm not sure by whom, though.
Karen J. Cravens
Charles A Lieberman
2005-01-07 04:18:57 UTC
"Karen J. Cravens" <silver+***@phoenyx.net> 2 Jan 2005 04:28:20
GMT
Post by Karen J. Cravens
the Merrimac had been re-christened
the Virginia after being rebuilt, but that it continued to be called the
Merrimac anyway.
I'm not sure by whom, though.
People who say they're not allowed to rechristen the ship? People who
like alliteration?

Charles "Those aren't mutually exclusive" Lieberman
--
Charles A. Lieberman | With God all things are possible, except
Brooklyn, New York, USA | agnosicism and atheism.
http://calieber.livejournal.com/ ***@bigfoot.com
Ralph Jones
2005-01-07 14:42:17 UTC
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:18:57 -0500, Charles A Lieberman
Post by Charles A Lieberman
GMT
Post by Karen J. Cravens
the Merrimac had been re-christened
the Virginia after being rebuilt, but that it continued to be called the
Merrimac anyway.
I'm not sure by whom, though.
People who say they're not allowed to rechristen the ship? People who
like alliteration?
More like the victors who write the histories. The Fedguv seems to
have regarded it less as a Confederate vessel than as a hijacked Union
vessel...though that doesn't explain where the final "K" went.

The structure that takes cars across the area of the battle is now
known as the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel.

rj
Hatunen
2005-01-08 02:12:05 UTC
On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 07:42:17 -0700, Ralph Jones
Post by Ralph Jones
On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:18:57 -0500, Charles A Lieberman
Post by Charles A Lieberman
GMT
Post by Karen J. Cravens
the Merrimac had been re-christened
the Virginia after being rebuilt, but that it continued to be called the
Merrimac anyway.
I'm not sure by whom, though.
People who say they're not allowed to rechristen the ship? People who
like alliteration?
More like the victors who write the histories. The Fedguv seems to
have regarded it less as a Confederate vessel than as a hijacked Union
vessel...though that doesn't explain where the final "K" went.
The structure that takes cars across the area of the battle is now
known as the Monitor-Merrimac Bridge-Tunnel.
I believe that closes the circle.

************* DAVE HATUNEN (***@cox.net) *************
Karen J. Cravens
2005-01-08 01:56:16 UTC
Post by Hatunen
I believe that closes the circle.
Prematurely, too... weren't we supposed to get back to the decapitation
bit?
Karen J. Cravens
Anthony McCafferty
2005-01-26 01:51:27 UTC
Post by Ralph Jones
More like the victors who write the histories.
ObRant: barring outright genocide, the victors generally write a lot less
history than the vanquished. Indeed, if you go by simple deadweight of books,
you would be forced to conclude that the Germans won both big wars, the
Confederacy the Late Unpleasantness, and that Charles Francis Edward's kid"s
kids sat on the chair now warmed by the Hannoverian Interloper.
Post by Ralph Jones
The Fedguv seems to
have regarded it less as a Confederate vessel than as a hijacked Union
vessel.
...and so it was, in several useful senses. To realize that the CSS
Virginia was, from the waistline down, the old Merrimac, told the informed
observer a lot about it. Lines, engine HP (if they ever fully reconditioned
it), scantlings. The old name may have stuck for practical reasons. The
fratricidal (Sororicidal? Hard to tell when "she's" a "man o' war", ain't it?)
aspect of ships once in the same fleet fighting captured some public interest,
too. The irony is less evident if you use the new name.
Post by Ralph Jones
.though that doesn't explain where the final "K" went.
Anthony "Nor where it came from" McCafferty

Ray Heindl
2005-01-02 21:20:42 UTC
Post by William R Ward
Post by Ray Heindl
Post by Crashj
The odd thing for me, born and rasied in the former CSA, it was
always taught as the "Monitor vs. Merrimac." I guess it was
just that way in the [Yankee] textbooks, plus it is more
poetic.
If that's how it's taught in the South, then it's not surprising
that the bridge-tunnel was named that way. I hadn't thought of
the poetic aspect, but the Merrimac version does sound better.
It was taught that way to me in California as well.
That's how I learned it in Maryland, part of the South in some sense at
least. But I figured it would be different in Virginia.
Nick Spalding
2005-01-07 10:39:27 UTC
Post by Crashj
Post by Ray Heindl
[snip]
Post by Lee Ayrton
Later he quotes material from the 1973 hearings on the I-664
(Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel) project, which mentions
concerns over the possibility that a proposed high bridge on that
route could be dropped into shipping lanes required by the Navy.
I'm surprised it wouldn't be called the Virginia Monitor Memorial
Bridge Tunnel, seeing as how the USS Monitor's opponent was called the
CSS Virginia.
<>
The odd thing for me, born and rasied in the former CSA, it was always
taught as the "Monitor vs. Merrimac." I guess it was just that way in
the [Yankee] textbooks, plus it is more poetic.
In so far as it was mentioned at all it was always Merrimac in my rightpondian
schooldays and later. I'd never heard of it as Virginia before this thread.
Nick Spalding
Thomas Prufer
2004-12-29 10:02:39 UTC
Post by The Horny Goat
I live on the west coast and even I (a Canadian) know there are
precious few ports in West Virginia! :)
Well, there *is*a "Virginia Inland Port", which is landlocked...

(Something to do with bond and customs. It's just like a port in that it's not
*in* the country in some legal sense or another, which is why it's called a
port, even though it's in the Shenandoah Valley.)

Thomas Prufer
Karen J. Cravens
2004-12-29 14:36:36 UTC
Post by Thomas Prufer
Post by The Horny Goat
I live on the west coast and even I (a Canadian) know there are
precious few ports in West Virginia! :)
Well, there *is*a "Virginia Inland Port", which is landlocked...
Tulsa, Oklahoma's got a port. (I imagine Googling for "Port of Catoosa"
will find something about it.) It gets real water traffic and everything.
You can see 'em unloading from the bridge on... uh... the road through
town, the one that leads to the Cherokee Turnpike. Can't remember if it's
still 244 at that point or what.
Karen J. Cravens
Vreejack
2004-12-23 17:46:17 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
The only decapitation stories that come easily to my mind are joy-riding
teens vs. mailbox/tree/utility pole and snowmobile rider vs.
clothesline/chain/wire rope/wire fence. Watcha got?
A woman beheaded in her car: Jayne Mansfield.
My old boss's ex-wife. It was nasty. I was there when he got the
word. It was odd how after all those years of wishing bad things on
her he suddenly felt sad for her.
G***@webtv.net
Old Boss? Matt Cimber perhaps?
danny burstein
2004-12-19 22:11:15 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Does it? I'm curious, because I don't recall hearing this class of tale.
The only decapitation stories that come easily to my mind are joy-riding
teens vs. mailbox/tree/utility pole and snowmobile rider vs.
clothesline/chain/wire rope/wire fence. Watcha got?
And, unfortunate but true, NYC transit worker vs. subway train. We had one
of these last week:

"The worker, identified by transit officials as Harold Dozier, 54,
was struck at 1:52 p.m. by a Manhattan-bound B train on the
express track near the Newkirk Avenue station, in Ditmas Park,
they said, and was decapitated.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/15/nyregion/15transit.html
***@panix.com
Mary Shafer
2004-12-20 03:58:55 UTC
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 22:11:15 +0000 (UTC), danny burstein
Post by danny burstein
Post by Lee Ayrton
Does it? I'm curious, because I don't recall hearing this class of tale.
The only decapitation stories that come easily to my mind are joy-riding
teens vs. mailbox/tree/utility pole and snowmobile rider vs.
clothesline/chain/wire rope/wire fence. Watcha got?
And, unfortunate but true, NYC transit worker vs. subway train. We had one
And the nurse or nurse's aide, a day or two ago.

"PAU, France (AP) - The bodies of two female hospital workers, one
decapitated and the other with her throat slit, were found Saturday at
a psychiatric hospital in southwest France, a local prosecutor said."

From
http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?floc=FF-APO-1103&idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20041218%2F1848963577.htm&sc=1103

Mary
--
Mary Shafer Retired flight research engineer
***@gmail.com
Ralph Jones
2004-12-20 03:12:09 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by c***@usa.net
Sorry if I was being obtuse. The cannonical UL on sheet metal
decapitation invariably involves a motorcycle, sometimes with the
headless rider passing the offending truck.
Does it? I'm curious, because I don't recall hearing this class of tale.
The only decapitation stories that come easily to my mind are joy-riding
teens vs. mailbox/tree/utility pole and snowmobile rider vs.
clothesline/chain/wire rope/wire fence. Watcha got?
The National Enquirer ran photographs of several spectacular
decapitations back in the 1950s, before the great content realignment
that enabled it to move from sleazy newsstands to supermarkets. The
best remembered was a head standing upright in the middle of a street
after a vehicular crash; another was a homeless man who took shelter
in a garbage truck and got sheared by the machinery when the driver
started it up.

rj
Donna Richoux
2004-12-20 09:46:55 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by c***@usa.net
Sorry if I was being obtuse. The cannonical UL on sheet metal
decapitation invariably involves a motorcycle, sometimes with the
headless rider passing the offending truck.
Does it? I'm curious, because I don't recall hearing this class of tale.
The only decapitation stories that come easily to my mind are joy-riding
teens vs. mailbox/tree/utility pole and snowmobile rider vs.
clothesline/chain/wire rope/wire fence. Watcha got?
Given the nature of the responses, I have to say: This should have been
taken as a request for LEGENDS about decapitations, not NEWS STORIES. We
all know that decapitation is an actual, possible, real way of dying.

I fully admit that my knowing someone who died through decapitation many
years ago affects my opinion, but I do wish people would tone down the
wacky-entertainment-amazement angle of this sort of mortal injury.
Donna "it's real and it's horrifying" Richoux
David Lesher
2004-12-20 15:21:08 UTC
Post by Donna Richoux
Given the nature of the responses, I have to say: This should have been
taken as a request for LEGENDS about decapitations, not NEWS STORIES. We
all know that decapitation is an actual, possible, real way of dying.
I related the story about the snowmobilers in TAFKAC....
hardly news....
--
A host is a host from coast to ***@nrk.com
Serge Paccalin
2004-12-20 15:28:58 UTC
Le lundi 20 décembre 2004 à 16:21:08, David Lesher a écrit dans
Post by David Lesher
Post by Donna Richoux
Given the nature of the responses, I have to say: This should have been
taken as a request for LEGENDS about decapitations, not NEWS STORIES. We
all know that decapitation is an actual, possible, real way of dying.
I related the story about the snowmobilers in TAFKAC....
hardly news....
Jayne Mansfield is hardly news as well, and it's a UL:
<http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/jayne.htm>
Could I be more on-topic?

Serge "from the country of Louis XVI" Paccalin
--
___________ 2004-12-20 16:25:20
_/___(_) la tolérance. -- Voltaire, 1763
Nathan
2004-12-20 15:42:52 UTC
Post by David Lesher
I related the story about the snowmobilers in TAFKAC....
hardly news....
Although USENET is affectionately known as Newsgroups, I hardly think
that the majority of groups *actually* discuss only news.
Jordan Abel
2004-12-21 01:13:43 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by c***@usa.net
Sorry if I was being obtuse. The cannonical UL on sheet metal
decapitation invariably involves a motorcycle, sometimes with the
headless rider passing the offending truck.
Does it? I'm curious, because I don't recall hearing this class of tale.
The only decapitation stories that come easily to my mind are joy-riding
teens vs. mailbox/tree/utility pole and snowmobile rider vs.
clothesline/chain/wire rope/wire fence.
No kids leaning out of school buses?
--
Or is that only arms?