McDonald's and the kangaroo meat urban legend
h***@hotmail.com
2020-03-18 14:32:24 UTC
The story (as I recall it) went that somebody in a shipping
firm that received cargo from overseas noticed that an
unusual shipment of skinned kangaroos were destined for
a McDonald's processing plant. Somewhat disturbed, the guy
called in either the news media or the Food and Drug
Administration inspectors. I never did hear any followup
to this thing, so I have always assumed that it was
urban legend all the way. Again, it does seem to stick
out in my mind that Newsweek mentioned it, but only from
the standpoint of covering the reaction of the population.
I can't documemt this without looking it up, though (too
much effort -- heh! that's why urban legends are so much
FUN!). This was circa 1984-1985 according to my infinitely
fallible memory store.
BTW, thanks for all the email tips on locating 'Dykes on
Bikes.' I'll look some of them up and post a followup
later. Still no luck on the Society for the Preservation
of Red M&Ms. I think I might have seen an ad to join
this group in The Nation circa 1987. I'll look for that,
too.
Drew
U.S. Snail : 1283 Woodbrook Lane, Columbus, Ohio 43223-3277
Ham Radio : WJ8K
Ma Bell : (614) 272-9813
Comments : The opinions expressed here are free of charge.
: Of course, they do not necessarily reflect the public
: policies of The Ohio State University, Inc. or its
: subsidiaries. Reg. Penna. Dept. Agr.
Kangaro meat got into the US beef supply by way of Australia back in 1981. McD's was chucking frozen beef patties in the dumpster nation wide. Put two and two together, it's not rocket science. The FDA tracked the meat from importer to processor. They kmow where the meat ended up but not exactly which meat patties got for sure. McD's can always claim it's a urban legend. It's not. The USAFDA says otherwise. https://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/26/us/australian-meat-will-be-inspected.html
Mark Shaw
2020-03-18 15:34:21 UTC
Post by h***@hotmail.com
Kangaro meat got into the US beef supply by way of Australia back
in 1981. McD's was chucking frozen beef patties in the dumpster
nation wide. Put two and two together, it's not rocket science.
The FDA tracked the meat from importer to processor. They kmow
where the meat ended up but not exactly which meat patties got for
sure. McD's can always claim it's a urban legend. It's not. The
USAFDA says otherwise.
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/26/us/australian-meat-will-be-inspected.html
That's a 404. Of course.
--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
Lee Ayrton
2020-03-18 20:08:45 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by h***@hotmail.com
Kangaro meat got into the US beef supply by way of Australia back
in 1981. McD's was chucking frozen beef patties in the dumpster
nation wide. Put two and two together, it's not rocket science.
The FDA tracked the meat from importer to processor. They kmow
where the meat ended up but not exactly which meat patties got for
sure. McD's can always claim it's a urban legend. It's not. The
USAFDA says otherwise.
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/26/us/australian-meat-will-be-inspected.html
That's a 404. Of course.
I'm always surprised when someone follows up to a 20, or in this case 30
year old post.

How to they find them? Did hoehnert2011 grep for "kangaroo meat"?
Mark Shaw
Lee Ayrton
Yeah but... Grepping loons still exist for Usenet?
Mikgmx
2020-03-31 20:08:04 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by h***@hotmail.com
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/26/us/australian-meat-will-be-inspected.html
That's a 404. Of course.
I'm always surprised when someone follows up to a 20, or in this case 30
year old post.
How to they find them?
Google Groups.
Yeah but... Grepping loons still exist for Usenet?
Yes and No, googling will also bring up google.groups postings.
But grepping is beyond the loons nowadays.

Cheers,

Michael "except for Archimedes Plutonium pupils" Kuettner

Drew Lawson
2020-03-18 22:04:06 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by h***@hotmail.com
Kangaro meat got into the US beef supply by way of Australia back
in 1981. McD's was chucking frozen beef patties in the dumpster
nation wide. Put two and two together, it's not rocket science.
The FDA tracked the meat from importer to processor. They kmow
where the meat ended up but not exactly which meat patties got for
sure. McD's can always claim it's a urban legend. It's not. The
USAFDA says otherwise.
https://www.nytimes.com/1981/08/26/us/australian-meat-will-be-inspected.html
That's a 404. Of course.
It works for me.

The article makes no meantion of McDonalds, and is primarily about
Australian horse meat that reached a processing plant that supplies
Jack in the Box.

There was kangaroo meat found "in beef shipments destined for the
United States," but no claim that any made it through.

Also, hoehnert2011 might wish to know that there is no USAFDA, and
that the FDA/USFDA is not involved in meat sales. That is the
Department of Agriculture.

Drew "2 + 2 = neigh" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson | Though it's just a memory,