American vs. British Salute - Military UL?
g***@yahoo.com
2017-08-22 02:20:08 UTC
A recent discussion came up in another froup to which I subscribe where I
had related something I'd been told while in the USAF about the reason the
American Salute was different from the British and some other salutes.
I was told, and it's been over 25 years, so I can't remember by whom, that
the reason the American salute is with the outside of the hand angled down
is because America has "never lost a war." Correspondingly, the British
salute is with the outside of the hand angled up, as they have lost at least
one war.
Another veteran in a different branch stated he'd been told the same story,
but questioned its authenticity.
I cannot seem to find the magic keywords on google to turn up anything that
even remotely covers this topic. Most sites cannot even agree on the origin
of the salute itself, but none that I have read to-date cover the difference
in the angle of the hand.
Has anyone else, veteran or civilian, heard this story of the reason for the
differences in the salutes? Can anyone find some better keywords with which
to search?
--
Fris "21-gun salute angled down?" bee® MCNGP #13
http://www.mcngp.tk
the british army salutes with palm showing but the navy salute palm down because theyre hands are normally dirty from working and its thought as disrespectful to salute with dirty hands
p***@gmail.com
You lost in Vietnam, so by your logic the US military should adopt the British salute.
t***@gmail.com
So the Americans won the Vietnam war?
John Francis
2020-07-17 17:25:07 UTC
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
Possibly undecided at the time the original poster was talking about.
As you apparently failed to notice, you are replying to a post made in 2003.
In it, the poster mentioned having been told about this "over 25 years ago".
If that had been 28 or more years, the Vietnam War would not have ended.

John "Still grumpy after all these years" Francis
Julian Macassey
2020-07-17 23:34:37 UTC
Post by John Francis
Post by t***@gmail.com
A recent discussion came up in another froup to which I subscribe where I
had related something I'd been told while in the USAF about the reason the
American Salute was different from the British and some other salutes.
So the Americans won the Vietnam war?
Possibly undecided at the time the original poster was talking about.
As you apparently failed to notice, you are replying to a post made in 2003.
In it, the poster mentioned having been told about this "over 25 years ago".
If that had been 28 or more years, the Vietnam War would not have ended.
If that tale is true, the US needs to change thier
salute.
--
The way a government treats refugees is very instructive because
it shows you how they would treat the rest of us if they thought
they could get away with it." - Anthony Wedgwood Benn
Bill Hileman
2020-07-26 18:15:08 UTC
Post by John Francis
Post by t***@gmail.com
[...]
It's just a wild coincidence that I decided to check this froup today, and was surprised to see my 17-year-old post revived.

I have not gone back and re-read all the replies in this thread (yet) but yes, I was in the USAF from '77 to '80 so the Vietnam war was over when I went in. It sucked because during that span the government decided to stop the regular educational benefits and instead used this VEAP program where they were matching savings, better than nothing, but I digress.

I'm thinking that the US never officially acknowledged "losing" the war. Nixon was all "peace talks" but I don't think anyone ever officially worded it as our country "losing." I often wondered why, if what I was told was true, that we did not have to adopt the british salute.

Fris "still out there searching" bee, Still MCNGP #13 (as if anyone cared).

P.S. Nice to see that some of the big time regulars still post here.