Think Progress Editor: Conservatives Are Thrilled A Chicago Woman Defended Herself With A Gun
Reply to: albasani.kook@albasani.net
2019-01-16 18:06:23 UTC
Last Tuesday a 25-year-old woman in Chicago was waiting at the
bus stop in the early morning when she was approached by a 19-
year-old man with a gun. The Chicago Tribune describes what
happened next:

SEE ALSO: “The View” debates: Is every Republican who supports
building the wall racist?

Laavion Goings Jr. was out of jail only two months when the 19-
year-old walked up to a bus stop about a block from his home,
pulled out a gun and tried to rob a woman on the Far South Side.

But the woman had a gun too and fired first, hitting Goings in
the chest, according to Chicago police. The teen ran back to his
home and made it as far as a stairwell in the foyer of a
building before collapsing in the 400 block of West 103rd Street.

That’s where officers found him shortly before 6 a.m. Tuesday,
just minutes after the shooting. He died within an hour at
Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn.

Video from across the street apparently captured the incident so
police know exactly what happened. The intended victim had a
concealed carry permit for her gun so she is not in any trouble
with authorities. This is a clear case of self-defense.

Enter Zack Ford, an editor at Think Progress who was
outrageously outraged that conservatives at the Dailly Caller
were celebrating the fact that a woman defended herself with a
gun against an armed mugger. (As I was writing this, Ford
deleted all of his tweets, but screenshots exist.)

By the time I saw that tweet it had about 4,000 responses and
fewer than 200 had liked it. Truly a ratio for the ages. When
Zack was called on this by his own followers he doubled down
(from here).

So she shouldn’t have had a gun even in this case where she used
it to defend herself against an armed mugger. What was she
supposed to do then, exactly? If you guessed ‘not fight back’
then you’re tracking well with Zack Ford’s mindset (from here):

She should have “let him rob her.” That’s a great piece of
armchair quarterbacking from a guy who probably hasn’t ever had
a gun pointed at him. What happens if, having collected her
purse, the mugger decides to drag her around the corner and rape
her? Should she let that happen too? What if he’s high and
shoots her for no real reason? The point is, Zack Ford has no
idea what would have happened next if the woman hadn’t been
armed. More importantly, she had no idea either. All she knew in
that moment was that a man was pointing a gun at her and making
demands.

It’s worth noting that this guy has been in trouble with the law
before. From the Chicago Sun-Times:

Laavion Goings had been released from Cook County Jail two
months earlier after pleading guilty to a drug charge and was on
probation at the time of the robbery, according to authorities.

Goings pleaded guilty Nov. 1 to possession of methamphetamine,
Cook County court records showed. He had initially also faced
six counts of aggravated battery to a peace officer in
connection with the same case, but the charges were later
dropped by prosecutors.

To be very clear, I’m not suggesting he deserved to die. I am
suggesting that he had a record and a history of violent,
unpredictable behavior that would make it unwise for a young
woman to wait around and see what he decides to do after he
pulls a gun. Dana Loesch had a pretty sharp response along these
lines:

Dana Loesch
?
@DLoesch
· 12h
Replying to @DLoesch
The idea that women should not defend themselves and instead
attend first to the wellbeing of their attacker is some of the
sickest BS ever. What a mind job.

Dana Loesch
?
@DLoesch
If you target a woman and attack her she has every right to drop
you. Make predators afraid — as opposed to shaming women for
wanting to live or not be assaulted or violated.

1,893
9:17 AM - Jan 15, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
437 people are talking about this
But if you think it’s just the NRA that supports this kind of
self-defense, think again. I watched three different local news
reports on this story (two of them are below) and all of the
local residents say the woman did the right thing (and many
believe the mugger got what he deserved). Note, these were all
black, Chicago residents who are probably not arch-conservatives
or NRA members. One older gentleman in the 2nd clip below says,
“I don’t feel sorry for the guy at all, I feel sorry for her.”

At some point, someone must have gotten through to Zack Ford. He
deleted his tweets and posted this apology thread:

Zack Ford
?
@ZackFord
· 10h
THREAD: I want to offer both some apologies and clarifications
about a poorly-worded tweet I sent about an incident of gun
violence. I have since deleted the tweet.

Zack Ford
?
@ZackFord
2. First, I believe people have the right to defend themselves.
My tweet suggested otherwise, and for that I apologize.

285
10:27 AM - Jan 15, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
88 people are talking about this

Zack Ford
?
@ZackFord
· 10h
Replying to @ZackFord
3. My tweet also ignored the context that this took place in a
neighborhood with high rates of violence. That's an experience I
don't have and shouldn't speak to. For that I also apologize.

Zack Ford
?
@ZackFord
4. My tweet suggested that conservative outlets covering this
story were happy about a death. That was not my intention, and I
apologize.

260
10:27 AM - Jan 15, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
138 people are talking about this
Again, Ford is the only person who made this about
conservatives. I’m guessing that’s a knee-jerk reaction of his.

Zack Ford
?
@ZackFord
· 10h
Replying to @ZackFord
5. My ideal is for a world in which guns do not have to be a
part of anyone's daily life and in which gun deaths are not a
part of our daily news. I stand by this ideal and disagree with
the proposition that more guns will make people safer.

Zack Ford
?
@ZackFord
6. I'm going to try to be more sensitive in my advocacy in the
future. For now, I stand humbled by my mistake and simply ask
that others will continue to work with me in good faith to end
gun violence for all people.

493
10:28 AM - Jan 15, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
576 people are talking about this
He sounds sincere but, needless to say, we don’t live in an
ideal world and never will. In the real world, a gun is an
equalizer for women who are, on average, smaller and not as
physically strong as men.

For myself, I stand with the woman at the bus stop who was out
before 6 am to go to work and was put in a terrible position by
a man with a gun. She defended herself and that’s good news. I
also stand with the neighborhood that is very glad she escaped
harm thanks in part to her concealed carry permit.

A young woman in this first clip says, “I’m kind of proud that,
like, that’s what she did, cause she stuck up for herself.” An
older woman adds, “We don’t owe the offender anything.”

Here’s another clip from the same station featuring more
reactions from local residents.

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/01/15/think-progress-editor-
dare-conservatives-celebrate-woman-defending-gun/
Just Wondering
2019-01-16 18:29:10 UTC
Post by Reply to: ***@albasani.net
[...]
People have a fundamental right to protect themselves. The woman
should not have had to ask government permission (a permit) to be
able to defend herself.

slate_leeper posted this earlier today:
"This study demonstrated no statistically significant association
between the liberalization of state level firearm carry legislation
over the last 30 years and the rates of homicides or other violent
crime. Policy efforts aimed at injury prevention and the reduction of
firearm-related violence should likely investigate other targets for
potential intervention."

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S107275151832074X
Rudy Canoza
2019-01-16 18:36:20 UTC
[...]
"Like most rights, the right secured by the Second Amendment is not
unlimited. From Blackstone through the 19th-century cases, commentators and
courts routinely explained that the right was not a right to keep and carry
*any* weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose."

Justice Antonin Scalia - District of Columbia v. Heller
June 26, 2008

A requirement for a permit to carry a concealed weapon is not an
infringement of the right. This is settled.
Just Wondering
2019-01-16 19:29:16 UTC
Post by Rudy Canoza
[...]
Please provide a citation to the U.S. Supreme Court opinion that
holds "a requirement for a permit to carry a concealed weapon is
not an infringement of the right." Without that Opinion, the
question most assuredly is not settled.
Rudy Canoza
That's what Justice Scalia said in Heller.
Just Wondering
2019-01-16 20:14:31 UTC
Post by Rudy Canoza
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Rudy Canoza
[...]
Nope. Scalia wrote in Heller:

“As the Constitution of the United States, and the constitutions of
several of the states, in terms more or less comprehensive, declare the
right of the people to keep and bear arms, it has been a subject of
grave discussion, in some of the state courts, whether a statute
prohibiting persons, when not on a journey, or as travellers, from
wearing or carrying concealed weapons, be constitutional. There has been
a great difference of opinion on the question.” 2 J. Kent, Commentaries
on American Law *340, n. 2 (O. Holmes ed., 12th ed. 1873) (hereinafter
Kent).

"Although we do not undertake an exhaustive historical analysis today of
the full scope of the Second Amendment , nothing in our opinion should
be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of
firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying
of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government
buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the
commercial sale of arms."

As anyone with a lick of brains can readily ascertain, the Heller
opinion DID NOT MAKE ANY HOLDING ON CONCEALED CARRY. It did not even
make a statement in dicta to the effect that concealed carry laws are
constitutional. To the contrary, Scalia quoted Kent's Commentaries that
there has been a great difference of opinion on the question.
Rudy Canoza
2019-01-16 20:21:53 UTC
Post by Rudy Canoza
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Rudy Canoza
[...]
Stupid fucktard - Scalia wrote this in Heller:

"For example, the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the
question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were lawful
under the Second Amendment or state analogues."
Just Wondering
2019-01-16 22:49:06 UTC
Post by Rudy Canoza
Post by Rudy Canoza
Post by Just Wondering
Post by Rudy Canoza
[...]
Restoring what you clipped:

Post by Rudy Canoza
"For example, the majority of the 19th-century courts to consider the
question held that prohibitions on carrying concealed weapons were
lawful under the Second Amendment or state analogues."
I repeat, and this directly applies to your Heller quote:
max headroom
Only if open carry is legal. Otherwise, charging a fee to exercise a right is an infringement.
Avenging Angel
2019-01-17 12:25:38 UTC
"Reply to: ***@albasani.net" <***@albasani.net> wrote
in news:***@dizum.com:
Democrats lament the bad guy didn't shoot the good guy so they could have
another victom to parade around.
b***@peak.org
2019-02-14 07:19:10 UTC
[...]
It is interesting that the study Leeper cited did not mention the comparisons between states that banned concealed carry and states where it was legal. Nor did it mention the results after Florida made it very easy to get a carry permit.