Origin of "Jet Black"
c***@gmail.com
2019-07-06 00:17:42 UTC
The origin of the Term JET BLACK was first used by Sears Roebuck in selling their Supertone “Castillian “ Model in their Catalog. I have this guitar from the 1930’s and it is the First usage of the Term JET BLACK.
ptomblin+ (Paul Tomblin)
2019-07-06 15:03:46 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
The origin of the Term JET BLACK was first used by Sears Roebuck in selling
their Supertone “Castillian “ Model in their Catalog. I have this guitar
from the 1930’s and it is the First usage of the Term JET BLACK.
Jet is a coal pre-cursor which is used for jewlery and it's black. The term
"jet-black" hwas been in use for centuries.
--
Paul Tomblin <***@xcski.com> http://blog.xcski.com/
I used up all my sick days, so I'm calling in dead.
RH Draney
2019-07-06 22:02:47 UTC
Post by ptomblin+ (Paul Tomblin)
Post by c***@gmail.com
The origin of the Term JET BLACK was first used by Sears Roebuck in selling
their Supertone “Castillian “ Model in their Catalog. I have this guitar
from the 1930’s and it is the First usage of the Term JET BLACK.
Jet is a coal pre-cursor which is used for jewlery and it's black. The term
"jet-black" hwas been in use for centuries.
I named two of the feral kittens who showed up on my patio some years
back McDonnell and Douglas (Mac and Dougie for short)....

They were both jet black....r
Drew Lawson
2019-07-07 19:41:08 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
The origin of the Term JET BLACK was first used by Sears Roebuck in selling
their Supertone “Castillian “ Model in their Catalog. I have this guitar
from the 1930’s and it is the First usage of the Term JET BLACK.
Jet is a coal pre-cursor which is used for jewlery and it's black. The term
"jet-black" hwas been in use for centuries.
OED lists it at least back to 1477. "Black as jet" to 1425.
--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.