Johnny Carson & Zsa Zsa
f***@apu.edu
2014-06-24 15:38:41 UTC
Okay, I was reading the AFU FAQ this morning, and came upon the following
F. Johnny Carson said he'd pet Zsa Zsa's pussy if she'd move her cat.
Now, from what I know, the "F" means that this is a false statement. A
friend of mine has a tape he bought (he has 3 or 4 tapes of old JC clips he
got through an offer on TV), and JC in fact does say something to this
effect. I could post a WAV if anyone would like (or make it available some
other way if binary postings are not approved of) if my memory is correct.
Steve
I DID see it, and did see a few other incidents when I was younger that may seem impossible to Snopes and others based on TV censorship rules at the time. However, these incidents DID happen. My memory isn't perfect, but when one talks with friends the next day, and everyone is discussing what they saw (and everyone has the same story) it happened. Revisionist sentiment, and desire to sell vintage TV DVDs has caused those with a financial interest in the old programming to deny such incidents, and even destroy the evidence, but what happened, happened. All these incidents involved mild double entendres, or Jr. High School humor, which wouldn't cause any kind of a stir today.
Lewis
2014-06-24 16:44:45 UTC
Post by f***@apu.edu
[...]
I remember seeing Johnny Carson with Zsa Zsa as well, and I've looked
for clips of it to confirm my memory, but never found one.

I might be remembering Jane Fonda asking about it though.

If Johnny himself says no, I'm not going to argue with him.
--
Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn't
advise you to try to invade
Don Freeman
2014-06-25 01:28:37 UTC
Post by f***@apu.edu
My memory isn't perfect, but when one talks with friends the next
day, and everyone is discussing what they saw (and everyone has the
same story) it happened.
Is the motto contest still open?
--
__
(oO) www.cosmoslair.com
/||\ Cthulhu Saves!!! (In case he needs a midnight snack)
David DeLaney
2014-06-25 06:12:06 UTC
Post by Don Freeman
Post by f***@apu.edu
My memory isn't perfect, but when one talks with friends the next
day, and everyone is discussing what they saw (and everyone has the
same story) it happened.
Is the motto contest still open?
We don't know. Someone managed to dust the entire database with thiotimoline.

Dave, time is past!
Derek Tearne
2014-07-01 03:51:07 UTC
Post by Don Freeman
Post by f***@apu.edu
My memory isn't perfect, but when one talks with friends the next
day, and everyone is discussing what they saw (and everyone has the
same story) it happened.
Is the motto contest still open?
If the the motto nomination is in a reponse to a post from before the
motto contest was closed for good. Then i think it may be legit.

I'm pretty sure the motto contest was still open in February 1996.

--- Derek
--
Derek Tearne - ***@url.co.nz
Vitamin S: improvisation from New Zealand http://www.vitamin-s.co.nz/
d'Groove: 12 piece party/covers band http://www.dGroove.co.nz/
David Scheidt
2014-07-01 03:54:52 UTC
Derek Tearne <***@url.co.nz> wrote:
:Don Freeman <***@cosmoslair.com> wrote:

:> On 6/24/2014 8:38 AM, ***@apu.edu wrote:
:> > My memory isn't perfect, but when one talks with friends the next
:> > day, and everyone is discussing what they saw (and everyone has the
:> > same story) it happened.
:>
:> Is the motto contest still open?

:If the the motto nomination is in a reponse to a post from before the
:motto contest was closed for good. Then i think it may be legit.

:I'm pretty sure the motto contest was still open in February 1996.

Really? I'm pretty sure everyone tells me it closed in '94.
sig 58
Mark Shaw
2014-07-01 13:50:09 UTC
Post by David Scheidt
:> > My memory isn't perfect, but when one talks with friends the next
:> > day, and everyone is discussing what they saw (and everyone has the
:> > same story) it happened.
:>
:> Is the motto contest still open?
:If the the motto nomination is in a reponse to a post from before the
:motto contest was closed for good. Then i think it may be legit.
:I'm pretty sure the motto contest was still open in February 1996.
Really? I'm pretty sure everyone tells me it closed in '94.
I'd think that, by now, it should be obvious to all that the AFU
Motto is "Is the motto contest still open?"
--
Mark Shaw
Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take
it, and my heart is just going to cave in. -Ricky, "American Beauty"
c***@gmail.com
2014-10-19 00:36:35 UTC
I didn't hear it, but my younger brother did. I came walking out of the
bath room and he was laughing so hard at it, he could barely tell me
what happened.
Ah, yes -- a common folk motif for apocryphal television events: "I didn't
actually *see* it, but when I entered the room my spouse/sibling/parent/
relative/friend was laughing at what had just (not) happened."
- snopes
What truly scares me about snopes is that the Orwellian 1984 Nightmare has begun. I did see this as it aired and it did happen. When pedantic fools attempt to talk down to us about it being all in our imagination, be afraid people. Why then do so many of us remember it not because someone told us but because we saw it and heard it? I suppose I have been hypnotized by mass hysteria, is that it? Snopes is a fool at best and a dangerous subversive of main-stream media attempting to sanitize our world by removing truth and fact from our online reality.

This seems like so insignificant a thing as one measly Carson interview, but what concerns me is we are having a discussion about a reality of our lives that we lived. Having someone attempt to post-edit it from our psyche by telling us online and definitively that it never happened truly frightens me. What interests me more is that Snopes is attempting to be an authority about something that would give it the right to dictate our reality to us. Who or what is Snopes to be a definitive ruling on such matters anyway?
Moe DeLoughan
2014-10-20 12:11:45 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
Apparently the fact that both Carson and Gabor denied that this ever
happened means nothing to you.

Not to mention that the show was not run live, and anything deemed
inappropriate by Network Standards was edited out. If it had actually
happened, it never would have made it on the air.

False recollections are commonplace. Many/most people will clearly
remember an incident or two that never actually happened, or they will
'recall' enhanced details that were not part of the actual incident.
Don't feel bad that your memory let you down.
Drew Lawson
2014-10-20 12:21:23 UTC
Post by Moe DeLoughan
False recollections are commonplace. Many/most people will clearly
remember an incident or two that never actually happened, or they will
'recall' enhanced details that were not part of the actual incident.
Don't feel bad that your memory let you down.
I find the mechanism fascinating. I have several clear "childhood
memories" of events that I was not present for. But I've looked
at the pictures so many times, and repeated the story so many times,
that my brain edited togethet a clip.

Oh, perhaps, The Man downoaded it into the Control Chip that the
aliens put in my brain.

I'll have to think a bit about which is more likely.
--
Drew Lawson So risk all or don't risk anything
You can lose all the same
Tim McDaniel
2014-10-20 18:16:09 UTC
I have a too-vague memory of an urban legend of something funny on TV,
then debunked, and then someone found the footage that showed the
incident. Johnny Carson and the pussy? Johnny Carson and kissing the
golfer's balls? Someone else? I don't have memory of the details to
be able to search for it.
Tim McDaniel, ***@panix.com
Drew Lawson
2014-10-20 20:03:22 UTC
Post by Tim McDaniel
I have a too-vague memory of an urban legend of something funny on TV,
then debunked, and then someone found the footage that showed the
incident. Johnny Carson and the pussy? Johnny Carson and kissing the
golfer's balls? Someone else? I don't have memory of the details to
be able to search for it.
After many years, someone produced a clip that supposedly shows the
"That'd be in the butt, Bob" scene from The Newlywed Game.

I remain unconvinced, for several reasons, not the least of which
is how long it took to fabricate^Wretrieve the clip.

Drew "That's be in the archives, Craig" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson | And to those who lack the courage
Brian Tivol
2014-10-20 23:08:37 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
After many years, someone produced a clip that supposedly shows the
"That'd be in the butt, Bob" scene from The Newlywed Game.
I remain unconvinced, for several reasons, not the least of which is
how long it took to fabricate^Wretrieve the clip.
The clip was featured on a television special in 2002, "The Most
Outrageous Game Show Moments", hosted by Bob Eubanks.

I remember watching it[1]. The show and this particular clip were
mentioned in Snopes[2] and contemporary reviews[3], and this froup went
bananas with the news[4], and... wait... there you are in the search
results and you were skeptical in 2002, too[5].

Man, here I was documenting the existence of the clip show, with
footnotes and everything[6], but the real issue is that you are
unconvinced of the voracity of the clip show. Well, I spent so much
time on research, I'll post the post anyway.

--brian

[1] In a thread about hazy memory, I make this claim? What am I, stupid?
[2] http://www.snopes.com/radiotv/tv/newlywed.asp
[3] http://www.hollywood.com/static/tv-review-the-most-outrageous-game-show-moments
[4] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topicsearchin/alt.folklore.urban/(newlywed$20OR$20eubanks$20OR$20%22newly-wed%22)$20AND$20after$3A2002$2F01$2F01$20AND$20before$3A2003$2F01$2F01
[5] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.folklore.urban/Pg8VSnwGYcQ/svPu_LBRb84J
[6] Like this one.
Drew Lawson
2014-10-21 13:09:33 UTC
Post by Brian Tivol
I remember watching it[1]. The show and this particular clip were
mentioned in Snopes[2] and contemporary reviews[3], and this froup went
bananas with the news[4], and... wait... there you are in the search
results and you were skeptical in 2002, too[5].
ObTwain:
It may be history, it may be only a legend, a tradition. It may
have happened, it may not have happened: but it COULD have happened.

Drew "Truth is only a concept" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson For it's not the fall, but landing,
That will alter your social standing
David DeLaney
2014-10-21 17:41:45 UTC
Post by Brian Tivol
[1] In a thread about hazy memory, I make this claim? What am I, stupid?
The motto contest has been closed for so long, we no longer recall which of
the entries were fabricated as copyright traps.

Dave "the wheel of memetics turns, turns, turns" DeLaney

ps: goin' old skool there though i've since evolved into a comma after the dave
but internyms rock, i'm sure archy would agree
Lewis
2014-10-22 06:54:45 UTC
Post by Moe DeLoughan
Post by c***@gmail.com
[...]
I do remember it, clearly.

However, I clearly remember several other things which never happened
too. Memory is imperfect.

This is why "eye witness" testimony is such a problem: it is horribly
unreliable, but is given massive credence by the courts and by juries.
--
Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn't
advise you to try to invade
R H Draney
2014-10-22 10:42:42 UTC
Post by Lewis
Post by Moe DeLoughan
Apparently the fact that both Carson and Gabor denied that this ever
happened means nothing to you.
I do remember it, clearly.
However, I clearly remember several other things which never happened
too. Memory is imperfect.
This is why "eye witness" testimony is such a problem: it is horribly
unreliable, but is given massive credence by the courts and by juries.
I love eyewitness testimony too, but I take it out of my mouth once in a
while....r
--
Me? Sarcastic?
Yeah, right.
j***@gmail.com
2017-11-22 04:27:44 UTC
It happens in his last 2 weeks before retiring from the show. I was watching the show when it happens! At first it was cut out, and then replayed a couple of days in funniest moments of Carson as a tribute to his career on the show.
p***@gmail.com
2018-06-23 17:16:41 UTC
I wasn't watching the show when it happened because I was too young, but I remember there was a commercial for a Tonight Show VCR tape set compilation and the commercial for it used to play late at night. The clip of this is on that commercial. Snopes is not, never was, and never will be the 'Lord and Master of all truth.' It happened, the evidence of it still exists somewhere and myself and others have seen it with our own eyes.
Drew Lawson
2018-06-23 23:36:36 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
It happened, the evidence of it still exists somewhere and myself
and others have seen it with our own eyes.
If the evidence exists somewhere (especially if on your witnessed
commercial VHS collection), it is odd that no one has revealed that
evidence in the ~28 years that I've been reading and sometimes
posting to this august forum.

As such, after (relatively) extensive consideration, your entry
into the Motto Contest has been rejected.

Drew "Please try again next time, except don't" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson

I only came in search of answers, never planned to sell my soul
I only came in search of something left that I could call my own
a***@gmail.com
2018-10-18 16:26:37 UTC
I've seen this too. No doubt. Big Persian cat. Zsa Zsa Gabor. Just went hunting for it on the web to show it to someone and couldn't find it. It's been erased, and Snopes is telling you a lie.