Exploding cards
l***@gmail.com
2019-06-01 15:47:09 UTC
Forgive me if this is a AFU FAQ....
I've heard that at one time, the red dye used in making
playing cards was explosive. I also heard that a criminal
in jail made a pipe bomb from the leg of his bed and the dust
scraped from thousands of decks of playing cards over a period
of ten or so years. Apparently, his successfully used his
home made bomb to escape from the joint..
Has anyone heard this too? Is it true?
Thanks,
--
Greg Larkin
Steve's wearing LOAFERS, no LACES on his shoes!
l***@gmail.com
The way I heard a similar story was from a MP at a deadly force class. He said a person in the brig tried to escape by scraping the nitro off playing cards and put it together with matches he scraped the chemicals off from. He put it in chewing gum and forced it into the lock of his cell. He used a match as the fuse and when he lit it, was in too bad of shape to go anywhere after it went off! I don't know if it's true?
Mark Shaw
2019-06-01 18:06:59 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Forgive me if this is a AFU FAQ....
I've heard that at one time, the red dye used in making
playing cards was explosive. I also heard that a criminal
in jail made a pipe bomb from the leg of his bed and the dust
scraped from thousands of decks of playing cards over a period
of ten or so years. Apparently, his successfully used his
home made bomb to escape from the joint..
Has anyone heard this too? Is it true?
The way I heard a similar story was from a MP at a deadly force
class. He said a person in the brig tried to escape by scraping
the nitro off playing cards and put it together with matches he
scraped the chemicals off from. He put it in chewing gum and forced
it into the lock of his cell. He used a match as the fuse and when
he lit it, was in too bad of shape to go anywhere after it went
off! I don't know if it's true?
Well, that was helpful.
--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
Drew Lawson
2019-06-02 19:15:54 UTC
The way I heard . . . .
I don't know if it's true?
We regret to inform you that you missed the submission deadline for
the Motto(!) contest by 23 years. But thank you for the effort.

Drew "Motto: There is no motto." Lawson
--
Drew Lawson | "But the senator, while insisting he was not
RH Draney
2019-06-02 21:46:33 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
The way I heard . . . .
I don't know if it's true?
We regret to inform you that you missed the submission deadline for
the Motto(!) contest by 23 years. But thank you for the effort.
Drew "Motto: There is no motto." Lawson
He gets a pass because he was replying to a message resurrecting a
thread from 1992....r
Stephen Hall
2019-06-04 19:43:27 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
[...]
Real story is little bit different: prisoner used cards to commit suicide.

<https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/solitaire/>
S. Hall
Don Freeman
2019-06-04 20:59:55 UTC
Post by Stephen Hall
Post by l***@gmail.com
[...]
Well... He did escape. Everything.
--
__
(oO) www.cosmoslair.com

---
Mike Headon
2019-06-08 09:47:01 UTC
Post by Don Freeman
Post by Stephen Hall
Post by l***@gmail.com
[...]
It was in a Ripley "Believe it or Not" in the fifties.
--
Mike Headon
R69S R850R

---
Don Freeman
2019-06-08 18:53:48 UTC
Post by Mike Headon
Post by Don Freeman
Post by Stephen Hall
Post by l***@gmail.com
[...]
I actually read that too. Back then I believed everything I read in
those books, now I am more in the "Not" camp.
--
__

Lee Ayrton
2019-06-08 20:04:19 UTC
Post by l***@gmail.com
Forgive me if this is a AFU FAQ....
I've heard that at one time, the red dye used in making
playing cards was explosive. I also heard that a criminal
in jail made a pipe bomb from the leg of his bed and the dust
scraped from thousands of decks of playing cards over a period
of ten or so years. Apparently, his successfully used his
home made bomb to escape from the joint..
Has anyone heard this too? Is it true?
The way I heard a similar story was from a MP at a deadly force class. He said a
person in the brig tried to escape by scraping the nitro off playing cards and
put it together with matches he scraped the chemicals off from. He put it in
chewing gum and forced it into the lock of his cell. He used a match as the fuse
and when he lit it, was in too bad of shape to go anywhere after it went off! I
don't know if it's true?
The Way I Heard It <tm> it was Red Cross packages, POWs, and
nitrocellulose from ping pong balls.

T: Ping Pong balls were (perhaps still are) made of cellulose nitrate.

Lee "Knip-knap-knip-BOOM!" Ayrton