A Piss that Saved A Plane
k***@aol.com
2020-04-24 05:00:39 UTC
...sometime last week (or maybe the week before) there was a story on
Paul Harvey's radio show about an airplane that (from what I recall) ran
out of lube for the landing gear to operate, and the crew and passengers
resorted to pissing into a container which was then applied to the gear,
which finally caused the thing to work...
...I need more info on that story as soon as is humanly possible...
This story has been discussed at length (no pun intended) over at
alt.folklore.urban. No one has been able to provide any substantial
proof of this ever occurring, though anecdotal accounts have been
supplied.
Paul Harvey's original story stated that the plane (a Cessna) needed
additional hydraulic fluid to build pressure in the landing gear
hydraulic system, not lubricant to ease the mechanics.
After discussing this with a certified aircraft mechanic he informed me
that all light planes have a remote reservoir with a hand pump to deal
with just such a predicament and that he had NEVER seen a light plane
with an "access point" to the hydraulic lines. I looked through several
old Cessna flight manuals for the 172/182 and the Sky Ranger and indeed
found no reference to an emergency hydraulic port. But, indeed,
reference to a remote fluid resevoir and hand crank for the emergency
loss of hydraulic fluid with the gear in the "UP" position.
Hope this helps.
David "Urban" Gruneisen
-- The Opinions expressed are soley my own and in no way an expression
of any sane person's---
I was on that plane. The reservoir was in the rear of the plane. The hand crank(lever like a jack)is a backup for the electric hydraulic pump. We were out of fluid so we replaced it with what we had. My 15 min of fame is for peeing in an airplane, and the pilot thanked me for doing it.
danny burstein