emergency runways...
danny burstein
2018-12-25 16:50:09 UTC
[AFP via Yahoo! via Twitter]

AFP news agency
Verified account @AFP

The 4.9 km (three mile) long Bogibeel bridge cost $800 million and has
been designed to bear the weight of a 60 tonne tank and is wide enough to
act as an emergency runway for fighter jets

http://u.afp.com/oFKK

***@panix.com
Drew Lawson
2018-12-25 22:06:52 UTC
Post by danny burstein
[AFP via Yahoo! via Twitter]
AFP news agency
The 4.9 km (three mile) long Bogibeel bridge cost $800 million and has
been designed to bear the weight of a 60 tonne tank and is wide enough to
act as an emergency runway for fighter jets
What about jet tanks?

I think the time has come.
--
Drew Lawson | I told them we had learned to change
Pabst Blue Ribbon
2018-12-29 02:54:59 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by danny burstein
[AFP via Yahoo! via Twitter]
AFP news agency
The 4.9 km (three mile) long Bogibeel bridge cost $800 million and has
been designed to bear the weight of a 60 tonne tank and is wide enough to
act as an emergency runway for fighter jets
What about jet tanks?
I think the time has come.
The idea is not new...

<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_A-40>
Lee Ayrton
2019-01-06 20:11:12 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by danny burstein
[AFP via Yahoo! via Twitter]
AFP news agency
The 4.9 km (three mile) long Bogibeel bridge cost $800 million and has
been designed to bear the weight of a 60 tonne tank and is wide enough to
act as an emergency runway for fighter jets
What about jet tanks?
I think the time has come.
The Abrams M1 tank is powered by a Honeywell AGT1500 gas turbine engine,
so I guess that they're already here. Honeywell itself lists it among
its turbo shaft helicopter engines -- but it is far bigger than the
aviation units.
Lee Ayrton
2019-01-06 20:14:01 UTC
[AFP via Yahoo!  via Twitter]
AFP news agency
The 4.9 km (three mile) long Bogibeel bridge cost $800 million and has
been designed to bear the weight of a 60 tonne tank and is wide enough
to act as an emergency runway for fighter jets
http://u.afp.com/oFKK
Good luck missing all those luminaire posts.

Looking, I see that the bulk of India's fighter aircraft are MiG-21s, a
six-decade old design. Robust, that.
danny burstein
2019-01-06 20:25:53 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Looking, I see that the bulk of India's fighter aircraft are MiG-21s, a
six-decade old design. Robust, that.
yabbut... EMP resistant!
***@panix.com