Bambi: Scarring Child Psyches?
f***@hotmail.com
2019-07-21 15:17:25 UTC
With the imminent release of the movie version of Bambi by Walt Disney
Co., I have heard a few people make the assertion that some large number
of children have been emotionally and/or psychologically affected by the
scenes in which Bambi's mother dies. Does anyone know of any hard
evidence to support this fact?
Joel Fenton
///////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
The problem with a global village is all the global village idiots.
///////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
As a youngster I was always deeply traumatized by any scenes of death or serious injury in children's movies; I would often have nightmares about stuff like this. A reason it affected me so much was that I was completely "laid open" emotionally while watching movies, eagerly and trustingly assuming that the films would be clean and joyfully-entertaining, and so whenever anything violent or harsh like this happened in the story, it would always "strike hard and deep" into my soul. (More than once during film-showings in school, a student would start crying and want to leave the theater because of a scary/upsetting scene; sometimes even an older student than myself) I don't think children's movies should contain negative or scary stuff like this. It needlessly upsets children during their tender years.
Mark Shaw
2019-07-22 04:30:15 UTC
Post by f***@hotmail.com
As a youngster I was always deeply traumatized by any scenes of death or serious injury in children's movies; I would often have nightmares about stuff like this. A reason it affected me so much was that I was completely "laid open" emotionally while watching movies, eagerly and trustingly assuming that the films would be clean and joyfully-entertaining, and so whenever anything violent or harsh like this happened in the story, it would always "strike hard and deep" into my soul. (More than once during film-showings in school, a student would start crying and want to leave the theater because of a scary/upsetting scene; sometimes even an older student than myself) I don't think children's movies should contain negative or scary stuff like this. It needlessly upsets children during their tender years.
Now me, I've always been traumatized by people writing long strings of
text without any FUCKING LINE BREAKS.

But maybe that's just me.
--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
The Real Bev
2019-07-22 06:15:59 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by f***@hotmail.com
As a youngster I was always deeply traumatized by any scenes of
death or serious injury in children's movies; I would often have
nightmares about stuff like this. A reason it affected me so much
was that I was completely "laid open" emotionally while watching
movies, eagerly and trustingly assuming that the films would be
clean and joyfully-entertaining, and so whenever anything violent
or harsh like this happened in the story, it would always "strike
hard and deep" into my soul. (More than once during film-showings
in school, a student would start crying and want to leave the
theater because of a scary/upsetting scene; sometimes even an older
student than myself) I don't think children's movies should
contain negative or scary stuff like this. It needlessly upsets
children during their tender years.
I cried. I still cry at stupid stuff (including Bambi's mom), even when
I KNOW I'm being manipulated. My granddaughter and I cried all the way
through the goddam Notebook, and I resented every stinking minute of it.

But traumatized? HAH! Even when I was tiny I knew it was just a movie.
OTOH, I knew that Psycho was just a movie, but I felt really strange
getting into a shower for years afterward.
Post by Mark Shaw
Now me, I've always been traumatized by people writing long strings
of text without any FUCKING LINE BREAKS.
But maybe that's just me.
Me too. It's not like the damn things cost anything.
--
Cheers, Bev
"I read about this syndrome called hypochondria in a
magazine. I think I've got it." -- DA
Drew Lawson
2019-07-22 13:00:50 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Mark Shaw
Now me, I've always been traumatized by people writing long strings
of text without any FUCKING LINE BREAKS.
But maybe that's just me.
Me too. It's not like the damn things cost anything.
Are you serious? I'm assured they cost the net hundreds, if not
thousands, of dollars.
--
Drew Lawson | If dreams were thunder,
The Real Bev
2019-07-22 15:22:43 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Mark Shaw
Now me, I've always been traumatized by people writing long strings
of text without any FUCKING LINE BREAKS.
But maybe that's just me.
Me too. It's not like the damn things cost anything.
Are you serious? I'm assured they cost the net hundreds, if not
thousands, of dollars.
Then I've been really lucky -- nobody has ever billed me for my usage.
OTOH, I always use double CRLFs rather than a simple LF. Maybe those
are free.
--
Cheers, Bev
"By the time they had diminished from 50 to 8, the other
dwarves began to suspect 'Hungry.'" -Gary Larson
Don Freeman
2019-07-22 19:03:18 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Mark Shaw
Now me, I've always been traumatized by people writing long strings
of text without any FUCKING LINE BREAKS.
But maybe that's just me.
Me too.  It's not like the damn things cost anything.
Are you serious?  I'm assured they cost the net hundreds, if not
thousands, of dollars.
Then I've been really lucky -- nobody has ever billed me for my usage.
OTOH, I always use double CRLFs rather than a simple LF.  Maybe those
are free.
Maybe so, but it is sooo damn wasteful. What if we run out of 0Ds and
0As? You would have only yourself to blame.
--
__
(oO) www.cosmoslair.com

---
Mark Shaw
2019-07-22 20:53:04 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Mark Shaw
Now me, I've always been traumatized by people writing long strings
of text without any FUCKING LINE BREAKS.
But maybe that's just me.
Me too. It's not like the damn things cost anything.
Are you serious? I'm assured they cost the net hundreds, if not
thousands, of dollars.
Then I've been really lucky -- nobody has ever billed me for my usage.
OTOH, I always use double CRLFs rather than a simple LF. Maybe those
are free.
THEY'RE TWICE AS EXPENSIVE!!1!

We'll start working on your bill straight away.
The Real Bev
2019-07-23 02:48:25 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Mark Shaw
Now me, I've always been traumatized by people writing long strings
of text without any FUCKING LINE BREAKS.
But maybe that's just me.
Me too. It's not like the damn things cost anything.
Are you serious? I'm assured they cost the net hundreds, if not
thousands, of dollars.
Then I've been really lucky -- nobody has ever billed me for my usage.
OTOH, I always use double CRLFs rather than a simple LF. Maybe those
are free.
THEY'RE TWICE AS EXPENSIVE!!1!
We'll start working on your bill straight away.
Gotta catch me first!
--
Cheers, Bev
I'd tell you a UDP joke, but you might not get it.
-- K.E. Long
Don Freeman
2019-07-22 19:05:57 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by f***@hotmail.com
[...]
You really want a trauma Bambi style?

--
__

Michael LeVine
2019-07-22 21:22:08 UTC
Post by Don Freeman
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by f***@hotmail.com
[...]
http://youtu.be/uFJz2IMUeDE
But for a REAL trauma

--
Michael LeVine
***@redshift.com

Politics is the art of looking for trouble,
finding it everywhere,
diagnosing it incorrectly,
and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Don Freeman
2019-07-23 03:07:34 UTC
Post by Michael LeVine
Post by Don Freeman
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by f***@hotmail.com
[...]
http://youtu.be/5R-rbzcEM8A
Saw that at an animation festival in the 70's, thanks for the nostalgia.
--
__