Man Is the Prey (was: Giant Catfish)
t***@gmail.com
2018-05-28 23:43:33 UTC
I am 54 years old, was raised at Table Rock Lake,my Dad,Uncle & Grandpa told me the same old story when I was a kid !!!! Divers were cleaning the grates on Table Rock Dam & seen catfish big enough to swallow them whole, swore they would never dive there again!!!! All that made me want to do is catch a big ole cat!! Lol
c***@gmail.com
2018-07-20 15:57:02 UTC
...one of the fish chased him until he got away from the
bottom.
Rubbish. If there were a catfish big enough to eat people, it wouldn't
give up
just because the person moved away from the bottom. Catfish will come
right out
of the water to grab something edible.
Are you sure about that? Being bottomfeeders, I doubt if a catfish is
likely to jump out of the water... they prefer to let the food come to them.
I've caught several catfish in the 5-7 pound range on topwater baites. Some of them came all the way out of the water when they did. Catfish are stronger than bass, by the way. ...by far. A 7-lb cat doesn't sound like too much, but it took me 10 minutes to get him in 30 feet.
c***@gmail.com
2018-07-20 16:01:55 UTC
A number of 'merkin rivers are inhabited by a variety of brands of gar,
some of which are rumored/have been caught/typical fish-taled to rech
man size. They don't look like sturgeon, suck up dinner off the bottom
(as do paddle fish, the paddle for shoveling), and are not good to eat
(except in " and garballs", favored in Louisiana, where they eat all
sorts and conditions of acquatic critters).
Gar can indeed reach lengths of 6 feet or longer, especially if you include
the long, saw-toothed bill in the equation. The "greenback" or "alligator"
gar that I used to catch in the Tennessee River as a kid were pretty fearsome
creatures.
Chip "and that ain't no fish tale" Taylor
God, grant me the Senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the
good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the
difference.
I used to bowfish for carp and gar (I mostly got into it because I had an older cousin who owned catfish ponds, and someone had released a few carp into them. He asked me to kill as many carp as I could).

I went to a river in north Alabama when I was 12 or 13, and had been bowfishing for 4 or 5 years. I spotted some gar swimming around in the 1-3 foot range. There were also some logs floating just under the surface. I missed a 3 foot gar, and hit a log about 10 feet long. The damned log swam away. I grabbed my rod and yanked back hard, and that stupid gar broke 50# line like it was nothing, and swam away with one of my best bowfishing arrows.