Dinah Shore + black baby?
c***@gmail.com
2017-07-31 00:30:27 UTC
She may have had or her husband may have had some family member in the past that were black & they didn't know about it,don't think ancestry DNA was around then.
c***@gmail.com
2018-01-18 03:07:00 UTC
I was just talking about this with my family. All of our parents & grandparents are gone now, but I DEFINITELY remember hearing them talk about this 'scandal' while I was growing up. They said she was almost ruined in Hollywood because of it. It was said that her grandmother had an affair with her family's slave. They had a baby (Dinah's mom) who was white, then Dinah came along... Clearly white, & then her baby came out and shocked everyone. It almost destroyed her marriage also. It came down to her mom getting the family 'closet skeletons' out in the open for it to be verified. YES, it was a real Hollywood scandal back in the day. PS, I am 46 & know of this. I bet if you ask an older generation person they could confirm this.
Bill Gill
2018-01-18 14:09:27 UTC
Post by c***@gmail.com
I was just talking about this with my family. All of our parents & grandparents are gone now, but I DEFINITELY remember hearing them talk about this 'scandal' while I was growing up. They said she was almost ruined in Hollywood because of it. It was said that her grandmother had an affair with her family's slave. They had a baby (Dinah's mom) who was white, then Dinah came along... Clearly white, & then her baby came out and shocked everyone. It almost destroyed her marriage also. It came down to her mom getting the family 'closet skeletons' out in the open for it to be verified. YES, it was a real Hollywood scandal back in the day. PS, I am 46 & know of this. I bet if you ask an older generation person they could confirm this.
I don't remember this, but I do recall rumors that she was partly
black.

Bill
r***@poop.rug
2018-02-01 17:43:45 UTC
This urban myth is false, just like those suggesting 'Paul is dead' and
satanic messages are embedded in rock songs. These urban myths seemed to
have been a early form of trolling. Thank gods we now have the internets
for such things now - progress!
Don Freeman
2018-02-07 01:01:53 UTC
Post by Bill Gill
Post by c***@gmail.com
I was just talking about this with my family. All of our parents &
grandparents are gone now, but I DEFINITELY remember hearing them talk
about this 'scandal' while I was growing up. They said she was almost
ruined in Hollywood because of it. It was said that her grandmother
had an affair with her family's slave. They had a baby (Dinah's mom)
who was white, then Dinah came along... Clearly white, & then her baby
came out and shocked everyone. It almost destroyed her marriage also.
It came down to her mom getting the family 'closet skeletons' out in
the open for it to be verified. YES, it was a real Hollywood scandal
back in the day. PS, I am 46 & know of this. I bet if you ask an older
generation person they could confirm this.
I don't remember this, but I do recall rumors that she was partly
black.
Bill
Her parents were Jewish immigrants from Eastern Europe, so none of her
ancestors fit the timeline for having black slaves.
--
__
(oO) www.cosmoslair.com

---
c***@gmail.com
2018-03-13 08:11:17 UTC
Dinah Shore always had her mom with her at most shows and she accompanied her daughter all over. Believed to be her nurse maid the lady in question was actually Ms Shore’s mother, hence her real name Fannie Rose Shore. Also evident in her recovery from polio at a young age due to her mother’s insistence upon massaging her legs back to health as was the scenario with African belief in herbs and the powerful healing attributes of touch.
z***@gmail.com
2018-03-23 22:46:17 UTC
I heard the story when I was young. As it went, the family kept it a secret that there was African American in Dinah's heritage that was kept secret until now. It was, supposedly, settled in a very large court action
l***@gmail.com
2018-03-26 11:10:32 UTC
Let me preface by saying 1) I'm a newbie to the group, but have read
the FAQ (well, a lot of it...); and 2) it was my wife that put me
up to this, tho I'm genuinely curious about the answer.
She is sure that Dinah Shore, while married to George Montgomery,
(both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
Dinah denied any "fooling around".
Anybody know the truth of this? Is it even possible?
(Disclaimer: I mean no upset or insult to anyone, I'm just interested
in whether or not its possible. I particularly do not intend any racial
slurs. No judgement implied on Ms. Shore, whatever she did or didn't do
is her business. If she produced a martian I'd be equally curious. Or
even more so...)
Camilla shrieked in horror, he was saying it again...
"I'm Chuckie... let's PLAY!"
Since Dinah Shore's parents were both Russian immigrants, it is extremely unlikely that she had any Sub-Saharan African DNA.
j***@gmail.com
2018-04-03 19:44:56 UTC
Well, I am 71, and I remember the adults talking about the scandal that she had a black baby, causing her husband to divorce her. Talk at the time was that after the oregnsncy, no baby appeared, so they said she gave it up. People here are questioning her ancestry, but she could have given birth to a black baby, if she had an affair. I guess well never know.
r***@gmail.com
2018-05-19 19:32:57 UTC
I remember this tabloid at the time. I guess this dates me. But Dinah gave birth to a baby that was dark like of African American ethnicity. Her husband George at the time I believe became very upset and accused her of cheating which lead to his rejection of the child and divorce. Dinah swore she was not cheating. She also had almost a nervous breakdown. I believe she ended up having a genetic test done that she found out she was either an eighth or sixteenth African American of which she had no knowledge of. Apparently her parents neglected to tell her about her lineage or didn't know themselves. The geneticist who performed the test explained that back 100 years or so there was probably in great great grandparents a marriage to someone that was mixed. And due to the mixed lineage it showed up at this time and produced a darker complected child. Dinahs career came to almost a halt because of the scandal. But she stood by the story and afterthis if you look close enough you can see she does have some mixed heritage looks about her. She always had that deep sultry blusy voice and was a great singer and olive completed. But what does it matter now? She is an american icon in show business.
d***@gmail.com
2020-01-01 20:00:53 UTC
Yes this is the story I remember but actually it really doesn't matter it's just interesting about the Gene's how they travel down anyway I sure used to like to watch her show
j***@gmail.com
2020-02-16 01:37:37 UTC
It is indeed possible to have a black baby when it is a known fact Dinah is part black.
Mark Shaw
2020-02-16 01:41:47 UTC
Post by j***@gmail.com
It is indeed possible to have a black baby when it is a known fact Dinah is part black.
Thank you, Google, for giving us a second dimension to Perpetual
September.
--
Mark Shaw moc TOD liamg TA wahsnm
"All of my mistakes are giving me ideas." - Natalie Lileks
Drew Lawson
2020-02-17 01:23:04 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by j***@gmail.com
It is indeed possible to have a black baby when it is a known fact Dinah is part black.
Thank you, Google, for giving us a second dimension to Perpetual
September.
Given the subject matter, that must be September 1975.
--
Drew Lawson | And to those who lack the courage
p***@aol.com
p***@aol.com
She did have negroid features.
c***@gmail.com
2018-09-08 21:46:56 UTC
Let me preface by saying 1) I'm a newbie to the group, but have read
the FAQ (well, a lot of it...); and 2) it was my wife that put me
up to this, tho I'm genuinely curious about the answer.
She is sure that Dinah Shore, while married to George Montgomery,
(both lily-white individuals), had a very black-appearing baby.
The story continues to say that divorce soon followed, altho
Dinah denied any "fooling around".
Anybody know the truth of this? Is it even possible?
(Disclaimer: I mean no upset or insult to anyone, I'm just interested
in whether or not its possible. I particularly do not intend any racial
slurs. No judgement implied on Ms. Shore, whatever she did or didn't do
is her business. If she produced a martian I'd be equally curious. Or
even more so...)
I grew up in the 60s and always heard the story that Dinah had been raised white but was actually Mulatta, and, that she had a dark-skinned child who was supposedly quite a shock. I guess the story was considered a scandal, I dunno, my generation didn't really care, it was hers and her husband's business and we just loved her on TV so we thought, so what? The little girls like me thought she was so poised and elegant! But I did hear that story as being true. Now, the bios state that it was a rumor spread by a competing singer who was jealous-and I know why: she could sing a bird right out of its nest!
I do, however, remember everyone being shocked about her dating Burt, I think that affected my generation more so than the mulatta rumor. My mom always said, 'well, if she makes him happy, who cares how stinkin old she is (and he isn't)!" Then, when he started up with Lonnie Anderson, we, the uninformed, were all saying 'but what about Dinah? We thought they were gonna get married!' LOL
w***@gmail.com
2018-09-18 23:39:43 UTC
Dina's great, great grandma is black. Thought everyone who knew the name knew that?
a***@gmail.com
2019-01-08 03:56:06 UTC
I grew up hearing that story from my mom who was a Hollywood fanatic. She said it as a historical story how racism was back in those days. Also that abortions were not legal so there was no way for Dinah Shote to hide the evidence of an affair or a possible black child. It was not said to implicate immortality or slut shaming Ms Shore. My culture supports women. I have no idea if it was true lol
Lee Ayrton
2019-01-11 15:01:24 UTC
Post by a***@gmail.com
I grew up hearing that story from my mom who was a Hollywood fanatic. She said it as a historical story how racism was back in those days. Also that abortions were not legal so there was no way for Dinah Shote to hide the evidence of an affair or a possible black child. It was not said to implicate immortality or slut shaming Ms Shore. My culture supports women. I have no idea if it was true lol
I glanced in the archive and we did discuss this in 1997, so the story
has been known to AFU at least that long. Various sites report similar
claims about Shore, or that she herself was biracial, dating from the
mid-20th century.

I'm intrigued by why the story would re-surface now.

Thank for bringing it to us.
Drew Lawson
2019-01-11 22:06:01 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
I'm intrigued by why the story would re-surface now.
Because, while Google is staged to control the world, its nerdboys
have never been able to figure out how to handle a Usenet archive.

If they would put a "This is over N years old. Are you sure you
want to reply?" screen in, most of these would go away, without
costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.

Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.

Drew "Time for a rerun thread on circumspection or mensuration" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson I had planned to be dead by now, but
the schedule slipped, they do that.
-- Casady
danny burstein
2019-01-11 22:14:26 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Because, while Google is staged to control the world, its nerdboys
have never been able to figure out how to handle a Usenet archive.
If they would put a "This is over N years old. Are you sure you
want to reply?" screen in, most of these would go away, without
costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.
Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.
17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
***@panix.com
David DeLaney
2019-01-14 18:50:58 UTC
Post by danny burstein
Post by Drew Lawson
Because, while Google is staged to control the world, its nerdboys
have never been able to figure out how to handle a Usenet archive.
If they would put a "This is over N years old. Are you sure you
want to reply?" screen in, most of these would go away, without
costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.
Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.
Depends which froup. r.a.sf.written is going strong.
Post by danny burstein
17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
2 of Ed Rice's whats?

Dave, using sekrit teknologiez, I can ask him for clarification if need be, &
return an answer here in under a month
Drew Lawson
2019-01-14 21:16:02 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by danny burstein
17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
2 of Ed Rice's whats?
Ed Rice's green grocers, ovbiously.

Drew "or is that green grocer's?" Lawson
--
Drew Lawson | Broke my mind

David DeLaney
2019-02-02 04:11:33 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by David DeLaney
Post by danny burstein
17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
2 of Ed Rice's whats?
Ed Rice's green grocers, ovbiously.
... do they sleestak furiously?
Post by Drew Lawson
Drew "or is that green grocer's?" Lawson
Dvae, "NO! This is WRONG!" - Bob the Angry Flower
Lee Ayrton
Teknologiez? You found parts for the time machine?
David DeLaney
2019-02-02 04:12:46 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by David DeLaney
Post by danny burstein
17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
2 of Ed Rice's whats?
Dave, using sekrit teknologiez, I can ask him for clarification if need be, &
return an answer here in under a month
Teknologiez? You found parts for the time machine?
We live in one! But adjusting the rate takes increasing amounts of fuel.

Dave, we're still looking for why the Death Ray has extra parts attached
Drew Lawson
2019-02-03 22:57:01 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Dave, we're still looking for why the Death Ray has extra parts attached
That's the one that got Steve Irwin, right?
Drew Lawson What would Brian Boitano do?
David DeLaney
2019-02-05 06:20:05 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by David DeLaney
Dave, we're still looking for why the Death Ray has extra parts attached
That's the one that got Steve Irwin, right?
Yep. We could tell.

Dave, and, FINALLY, Bob Hope
Lee Ayrton
2019-03-03 11:50:37 UTC
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Lee Ayrton
Teknologiez? You found parts for the time machine?
We live in one! But adjusting the rate takes increasing amounts of fuel.
Who was that guy that would pop up occasionally looking for very
specific parts for his time machine? I'm unable to formulate a search
term that brings up one of his posts.
RH Draney
2019-03-03 18:39:37 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by David DeLaney
Post by Lee Ayrton
Teknologiez? You found parts for the time machine?
We live in one! But adjusting the rate takes increasing amounts of fuel.
Who was that guy that would pop up occasionally looking for very
specific parts for his time machine?  I'm unable to formulate a search
term that brings up one of his posts.
No luck yet, but I did manage to find you posting the same demand on
7/03/09....r
E. H. Rice
2020-04-08 07:20:27 UTC
Post by danny burstein
17 years old? That's about 2 Ed Rice's, right?
2 of Ed Rice's whats?

Dave, using sekrit teknologiez, I can ask him for clarification if need be, &
return an answer here in under a month

No need, David B DeLaneY — I can answer here myself. I wish 17 years was two Ed Rices.

Ed Rice
Lee Ayrton
2019-01-25 19:26:15 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by Lee Ayrton
I'm intrigued by why the story would re-surface now.
Because, while Google is staged to control the world, its nerdboys
have never been able to figure out how to handle a Usenet archive.
If they would put a "This is over N years old. Are you sure you
want to reply?" screen in, most of these would go away, without
costing hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars.
Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.
I'm intrigued, but not handy enough to understand how a 17 year old post
got back into the feed as a new post. I confess that I hadn't thought
to look at the headers, and even if I had the only things that I would
recognize as amiss would be the presence of a bang!path, and of course,
Hatunen.

What are you seeing that points to the early date? I'm using Thunderbird
as a reader. Headers as seen here below.

Newsgroups: alt.folklore.urban
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2019 19:56:06 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Dinah Shore + black baby?
From: ***@gmail.com
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Drew Lawson
Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.
I'm intrigued, but not handy enough to understand how a 17 year old post
got back into the feed as a new post. I confess that I hadn't thought
Sorry for being more obtuse than usual. *You* did not respond to
a 17 year-old message. The message you responded to was from January
2019. However, *that* message was responding to a 1997 thread, of
course with no quoted context, since civilization has fallen into
ruin and no one knows such conventions anymore.

Drew "and get that poorly quoted social media off of my lawn!" Lawson
--
In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the
last resort of the scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened
-- Ambrose Bierce
Lee Ayrton
2019-02-18 19:06:01 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by Lee Ayrton
Post by Drew Lawson
Of course, without responses to 17 year-old postings, there would
hardly be any Usenet traffic at all.
I'm intrigued, but not handy enough to understand how a 17 year old post
got back into the feed as a new post. I confess that I hadn't thought
Sorry for being more obtuse than usual. *You* did not respond to
a 17 year-old message. The message you responded to was from January
2019. However, *that* message was responding to a 1997 thread, of
course with no quoted context, since civilization has fallen into
ruin and no one knows such conventions anymore.
Drew "and get that poorly quoted social media off of my lawn!" Lawson
Ah. That makes better sense to me.

In my occasional nostalgia-driven visits to UsenetLand I get the sense
that various servers have been wet-belching small chunks of the distant
past and presenting them as new.
Don Freeman
2019-02-20 00:06:43 UTC
Post by Lee Ayrton
In my occasional nostalgia-driven visits to UsenetLand I get the sense
that various servers have been wet-belching small chunks of the distant
past and presenting them as new.
The replies to old threads seem to always be propagated by Gmail users,
probably responding to old posts on Google Groups. But most of the time
I don't mind them though, kinda nostalgic actually.
--
__

Mark Shaw
2019-02-20 21:10:25 UTC
Post by Don Freeman
Post by Lee Ayrton
In my occasional nostalgia-driven visits to UsenetLand I get the sense
that various servers have been wet-belching small chunks of the distant
past and presenting them as new.
The replies to old threads seem to always be propagated by Gmail users,
probably responding to old posts on Google Groups. But most of the time
I don't mind them though, kinda nostalgic actually.
Me, I could do without the lack of line breaks. Ah well.
cbusylol
I post via Google Groups and have been openly attacked by the line break thing. Hard to believe people get their panties in such a twist over it. People clenching onto 'unwritten rules' of a communication platform that's been dead for some 15 years. Since my ISP shut down its news server, and most public free servers don't retain a lot of history, GG is just a better fit for me. USEnetters should be happy that Google Groups existence allows an audience to participate in otherwise a hallowed boneyard.
Mark Shaw
2019-02-25 15:50:07 UTC
Post by cbusylol
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by Don Freeman
The replies to old threads seem to always be propagated by Gmail users,
probably responding to old posts on Google Groups. But most of the time
I don't mind them though, kinda nostalgic actually.
Me, I could do without the lack of line breaks. Ah well.
[text that should have been trimmed, trimmed]

[line breaks added via 'fmt']
Post by cbusylol
I post via Google Groups and have been openly attacked by the line
break thing. Hard to believe people get their panties in such a
twist over it.
Go away, Sonny, you bother me.
Post by cbusylol
People clenching onto 'unwritten rules' of a
communication platform that's been dead for some 15 years.
Ha ha ha ha ha
Post by cbusylol
Since
my ISP shut down its news server, and most public free servers
don't retain a lot of history, GG is just a better fit for me.
Well, I'm glad you find it useful. But do please go somewhere else.
Post by cbusylol
USEnetters should be happy that Google Groups existence allows an
audience to participate in otherwise a hallowed boneyard.
Oh, my.
cbusylol
2019-02-25 18:13:55 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Oh, my.
Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group
Mark Shaw
Don Freeman
2019-02-26 00:04:17 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by cbusylol
Post by Mark Shaw
Oh, my.
Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group
Go away, Sonny, you bother me.
Since I only see the responses to cbusylol I must have killfiled him a
while back. Looks like for good reason.
--
__

Drew Lawson
2019-02-26 00:30:04 UTC
Post by cbusylol
Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group
Have you considered decaf?

Drew "There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the
market that are just as tasty as the real thing." Lawson
--
Drew Lawson | "Look! A big distracting thing!"

David DeLaney
2019-03-01 12:52:31 UTC
Post by Drew Lawson
Post by cbusylol
Just killfile the shit and go back to staring at a dead group
Have you considered decaf?
We're not dead. We're just resting.
Post by Drew Lawson
Drew "There are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the
market that are just as tasty as the real thing." Lawson
Dave, the above compliment may contain snark. do not try this at home. trained
professional on a closed time loop.
l***@gmail.com
2019-02-06 23:29:06 UTC
I was a child when this happened,and I remember the story and yes she delivered a child that was African American they did divorce and I remember my parents later speaking about the fact that apparently some of her ancestry had African American roots and I believe but not sure that they said that she had been adopted and I believe the child turned out to be her husband's had not known she was adopted as she passed as white she had no knowledge of her ancestral history I wish my parents were still alive so I could ask them I remember this conversation in our house
f***@gmail.com
2019-03-26 04:06:56 UTC
Dina's great grandmother was a Negro
Mark Shaw
2019-03-26 15:29:06 UTC
Post by f***@gmail.com
Dina's great grandmother was a Negro
You mean the chick from "Dumbing of Age?" How about that!
j***@gmail.com
2019-08-05 00:25:53 UTC
Mike Rejsa, I'm curious also because I remember hearing it in thr news years ago but don't remember the details and my husband hasn't heard it
i***@gmail.com
2019-08-23 17:42:43 UTC
True. Dinah had african american in her background. The baby took on those genes
b***@yahoo.com
2020-04-17 12:25:27 UTC
ive heard it since i was a child in the 50s but have no facts
Mark Shaw
2020-04-17 12:46:32 UTC
Post by b***@yahoo.com
ive heard it since i was a child in the 50s but have no facts
Motto!
danny burstein
2020-04-17 14:10:32 UTC
Post by Mark Shaw
Post by b***@yahoo.com
ive heard it since i was a child in the 50s but have no facts
Motto!
Oh, the humanity!
***@panix.com