Fun times at Old Faithful We had seen the joke on TV and thought that it was hilarious. We would very much like to see it again.
w***@gmail.com
2016-07-10 18:12:59 UTC
Having just gotten back from a trip to Yellowstone National Park, I've
been hearing about everyone's Yellowstone experiences. One in particular
sounded especially intriguing. It seems the National Park Service hires
college students from around the world to work at hotels, restaurants,
etc. during peak summer time. (I know this part is true because I was
there.) According to the story, some of these students went out to Old
Faithful one day, way off to the side, but still within view of the
tourists, with a bicycle wheel and a length of pipe. They pushed the
pipe deep in the ground and mounted the bicycle wheel on top of it.
Several seconds before the scheduled eruption time, one student called
an order to the other one, who started turning the bicycle wheel on top
of the pipe very slowly and laboriously, creating the impression that he
was opening a large valve. The geyser blew its load right on schedule,
and then he cranked the wheel the other way again. The story goes on to
say that they were fired for this little incident.
I could easily believe that some overbored college kids would do
something like this, but the hard part is believing that they got fired.
If I had been their boss, I wouldn't have been able to stop laughing
long enough to do the paperwork. The only scenario that might lead to
this is if they were trespassing on some sort of restricted
environmentally sensitive area. Anyone have any input on the voracity of
this one?
Intersting thought: If a chemical factory dumped into the ground the
same mix of toxic chemicals that exists at Yellowstone, they would be
accused of committing the environmental atrocity of the century.
Michael LeVine
2016-07-10 19:20:29 UTC
[...]
IIRC there is a video of the incident you described. I seem to recall
seeing it at one time
but cannot seem to readilly locate a copy on the net.
--
Michael LeVine
***@redshift.com

Politics is the art of looking for trouble,
finding it everywhere,
diagnosing it incorrectly,
and applying the wrong remedies.
Groucho Marx
Lewis
2016-07-11 14:18:25 UTC
<http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?topic_id=23&msg_id=000pzy>
--
'The trouble with my friend here is that he doesn't know the difference
between a postulate and a metaphor of human existence. Or a hole in the
ground.' --Pyramids
p***@gmail.com
2020-07-07 00:35:11 UTC
I saw this years ago and haven't been able to find it either. Don't know whether it was America's Funniest Home Videos or perhaps Candid Camera. But it's nice to know that the best ideas come round again. Reminds me of elementary school kids when they discover a silly song and sing it to their parents, who thought they'd discovered it back in their day.
David DeLaney
2016-07-11 00:35:39 UTC

Clue phone's ringing!

... oh dear, he didn't have anything to say. Guess someone else will win the
clue!

Dave, mr. noah body
http://gatekeeper.vic.com/~dbd/ -net.legends/Magic / I WUV you in all CAPS! --K.